[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: 136000.jpg (14 KB, 274x427) Image search: [Google]
136000.jpg
14 KB, 274x427
We name authors often unheard of here.
>>
Calder Willingham
>>
>>8116265
Turgenev, Lermontov.
Lermontov is especially weird, because he must speak to a lot of people here, for better or worse.
>>
File: Milk.jpg (45 KB, 275x475) Image search: [Google]
Milk.jpg
45 KB, 275x475
>>
>>8116276
Turgenev is woody Allen-tier
>>
>>8116281
Orlovitz was meme'd around here some months ago. Milkbottle-H is one of the densest books I've read but, God, was it fun.
>>
My good old nigga Maxim Gorky

greatest soviet writer imho

>>8116289
explain
>>
>>8116276
I've seen lermentov threads. A Hero of Our time ends up on a lot of essential /lit/ lists
>>
>>8116276
Lermontov was really popular here a couple of years ago. Hero of Our Time was being brought up constantly.
>>
Flaubert doesn't get much love around here. Proust and Stendahl seem to get all the French lit love. And Celine for a few edgelords
>>
>>8116313
>>8116314
Eh, my newfag is showing.
I don't know, Brodsky? Favorite of 18 yo I-feel-so-old fedoras everywhere, yet basically unmentioned here. It's just weird considering how slavaboo this board is.
>>
>>8116327
i will admit that i was one of the said edgy teens who related to Pechorin though... i still do
>>
File: Hawthorne.jpg (22 KB, 343x446) Image search: [Google]
Hawthorne.jpg
22 KB, 343x446
I'm a bit biased, though, because he is one of my favorites
>>
Fun fact: Lermontov's books were considered forbidden books in Russia by the orthodox church in the 20th century
>>
Paul Bowls
>>
Morris Berman
>>
File: Ci8sAbNUoAEFf3t.jpg (50 KB, 560x433) Image search: [Google]
Ci8sAbNUoAEFf3t.jpg
50 KB, 560x433
>>8116265
Flann O Brien
>>
Nikos Kazantzakis.
He does get mentioned once in a while though.
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 640x1136
Stumbled on this in a used book store. Immediately became one of my favorite books. Most of the references I could find to it online were on tumblrs titled stuff like "authors nobody reads anymore."
>>
>>8116276
Ever since WWII most of the 19th century Russian authors are pretty mainstream, dude.
>>
>>8117131
He's kind of forgotten by a lot of people, isn't he? I think he's the writer you're supposed to read after Joyce and Beckett if you can't get enough Irish. I've had a copy of one of his books sitting on my shelves for a few years now and I doubt I'll ever read it.
>>
>>8117236
You should. He's fantastic. Not as good as Joyce, but still a great writer. He gives an insight into a different slice of Ireland than Joyce or Yeats do.
>>
Kenneth Patchen from what I remember is pretty good.
>>
Céline is the best you named and there's nothing edgy about that.
>>
File: AVT_Kiyohiro-Miura_7587.jpg (4 KB, 120x179) Image search: [Google]
AVT_Kiyohiro-Miura_7587.jpg
4 KB, 120x179
Kiyohiro Miura, won the '88 Akutagawa Prize for "He's Leaving Home", one of my favourite stories.
>>
>>8116326
Every French authors except maybe Proust and Celine are unknown to /lit/
>>
Martin Walser
>>
Milan Oklopdzic

Was a black wave Yugoslav writer. Mostly surreal and has a really unique style and has "what a twist" moments , that are legit good.

Californian blues and Metro are fav
>>
>>8117147
Where should I start with him? I've been meaning to read Zorba for some time.
>>
Adolfo Bioy Casares.
>>
Some Austrians/Germans/Swiss no-one here discusses:

Christoph Ransmayr - get The Last World, amazing

W. G. Sebald - sometimes Austerlitz is mentioned here, but he wrote so much more (he mixes languages a lot, I wonder how that works in English translation)

Walter Moers - original and comfy meta-fantasy without stealing from Tolkien

Marcel Reich-Ranicki - did for Germany what Bloom did for the US, while being a little bit less of a fat cunt, but only a little. Wrote a great memoir too, possibly the only thing you can pick up in English.

Friedrich Dürrenmatt - wrote philosophical literary crime detective-ish novels that dealt with the holocaust, and some great dramas

Herbert Rosendorfer - get Grand Solo for Anton, a guy too weird for society is suddenly the only man alive.
>>
Fritz Angst was mentioned here maybe once or twice, his book Mars is his only and I feel a lot of people on /lit/ may relate to the plot.
>>
Alejandro Zambra

Diego Maquieira
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.