[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you call a phrase that's like an anachronism as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
What do you call a phrase that's like an anachronism as in, 'turn off the lights' even though lights don't have knobs anymore they have switches. Like people still call videoing things 'taping' even though most handheld cameras are digital
>>
>>8115813

>anachronism
>>
Therapists are never that sexy in real life. Mine's a fat Indian girl who thinks the DSM-V is the holy gospel. I want to slam it on her head and shit on her uncomfortable fucking couch.
>>
>>8115842
no wonder you're in therapy
>>
>>8115860
>idiot stamps
>garishly dyed hair
>that piercing
is this the kind of girl you're really into?
>>
File: w4BMsDy.jpg (225 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
w4BMsDy.jpg
225 KB, 1200x900
>>8115871
you don't seem to be interested in girls at all
>>
>>8115813
semblance, analogy, similitude?
>>
>>8115878
>3D girls

yuck
>>
>>8115860
>it gets worse before it gets better

wooooo so deep
good grief why would a nice looking girl like that want such a banal platitude scrawled on her body
>>
>>8115813
malaprops?
>>
>>8115860
that cow nose ring, omg
that's to calm her if she is unruly i suppose
>>
Skueuomorph
>>
>>8115842
poo goes in the loo
>>
>>8115813

I KNOW WHAT IT IS CALLED, BUT I CANNOT RECALL; IT IS A SPECIFIC KIND OF CATACHRESIS THOUGH.
>>
Hang up the phone.
>>
>>8115974
this is correct
>>
>>8116453

NO, IT IS NOT; THAT IS NOT WHAT THE ORIGINAL POSTER MEANS.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (85 KB, 1210x739) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
85 KB, 1210x739
>>8115974
>>8116453
no
a skeuomorph is something that is designed to look like something else even though it does not function in that way
an example is the floppy disk icon used for saving files even though nobody actually uses floppy disks any more (well i am sure there are a few weirdos on here that do)
or fake stitching you see on cheap footballs etc when actually it is made from moulded plastic

i think >>8115816 and >>8115886 are closer. op is describing an anachronistic analogy
i am not sure if "turn off the lights" counts because when you do that it does not describe physical turning (unless you have faders/dimmers, i suppose) but you are turning it from light to dark
there is probably a single word for it but i'm bored now so here's a picture of a little poisonous frog
>>
>>8115842
>a fat Indian girl
>thinks the DSM-V is the holy gospel
In this sentence I see two legitimate reasons why you should seek a new therapist
though it may just be my subclinical cyclothymic adjustment personality-ish affective disorder
>>
>>8115878
>perfect lips and feet

Holy shit
>>
>>8115813
you should read delillo
>>
>>8115842
Get the fuck out and try someone else.
>>
>>8116473
>>8116085
> Tripfag here to ruin the thread
What's up cunt? Now resorting to all caps so people can notice you more huh?
>>
>>8117899
How new
>>
Melfi a cute
>>
>>8115813
Kinda like how people say rewind even tho VHS is obsolete?
>>
>>8118187
>not rewinding DVDs before giving them back to the library
>>
>>8118928
>300 BC + 1716
>library
>not getting your DVDs from Blockbuster
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.