[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Burroughs have any good books? I was told I should read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: nacadio luncheros.jpg (31 KB, 285x475) Image search: [Google]
nacadio luncheros.jpg
31 KB, 285x475
Does Burroughs have any good books? I was told I should read the cut-up trilogy
>>
No. He's the faggot figurehead of the worst literary generation of all time.
>>
>>8115607
I started reading The ticket that exploded before I found out it was part of trilogy. Im about half way through it's pretty good, that is, if subtext about addiction and being a fag is your thing.
>>
Burroughs is a *fantastic* writer, but nobody knows this because people only ever read Naked Lunch and Junky, which are largely formalist gimmicks imo. Read the Red Night trilogy and The Last Words of Dutch Schultz, OP
>>
Cut up trilogy is absolutely worth reading
>>
I read Naked Lunch in high school and I only liked it because HAHA PENIS, should I reread it? I remember it being a slog to read at certain points
>>
>>8115670
>>
>>8115893
I read Naked Lunch in high school too and thought it was lolsorandom. Ten years later I still feel the same way. His writing isn't for everyone, I suppose.
>>
File: IMG_20160603_014314.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_014314.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
All of his writing is incredible, except maybe for Junkie - I expecially loved his last trilogy, which developed the themes of power, anarchy and speculative revolution that permeate all of his writing.

>>8115893
>>8115938
Do reread it, pages like pic related are gems one doesn't often find in literature.
>>
the nova trilogy is excellent for the most part, but the actual cut up stuff in it can be tiresome when there's just pages and pages of it after a few paragraphs of his normal writing

the wild boys is great too but ultra gay at times
>>
>>8115964
Don't get me wrong, even in high school I found myself engrossed in some parts of it, especially his imagery. But I guess it's a little too all over the place for me.
>>
>>8115935
Non-contributional disparaging replies here are supposed to come with an anime girl image, lad
>>
File: lol_burroughs.jpg (78 KB, 465x383) Image search: [Google]
lol_burroughs.jpg
78 KB, 465x383
>>8115772
this

red night trilogy is where i started with burroughs, and i like to think sometimes i can understand where he's coming from. the cutup books seem to me to have a couple of great ideas buried somewhere underneath the repetition. i found myself skipping over the obviously cut-up sections to where he was making sense again, more or less.
>>
the yage letters is surprisingly good
>>
>>8115670
Burroughs was one of the most important authors of the 20th century, easily in the top 10.

>>8115772
This, Naked Lunch is great and is worth reading but if you've only read that and not any of his other works you can hardly state your opinion of him with any authority.
>>
>>8115607
Junky and Queer. I've read Naked Lunch, really didn't like it. But it did have it's moments, like his descriptions of needles and that trickle of blood that gets in.
>>
>>8115607
>Does Burroughs have any good books?

not really
>>
File: BurroughsChart.png (3 MB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
BurroughsChart.png
3 MB, 2000x3000
>>
>>8118146
i agree mr
>>
>>8115772
Red Night Trilogy uses a lot of gimmicks from Naked Lunch though.
Not that I have any problems with that.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.