[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone recommend some feminist literature? Specifically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: shutterstock_171865400.jpg (23 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_171865400.jpg
23 KB, 640x425
Can someone recommend some feminist literature? Specifically on the subject of gender (so more 3rd wave feminism).

I used to consider myself a feminist and very pro-trans and gender identity in general, but after a long time of not studying it, I've heard some arguments from the new right movement that has made me question the validity of things like gender and the legitimacy of transsexuality. I'd just like some perspective, especially given that I have a friend who might transition soon who I of course support on the surface and on an emotional level, but I want to understand the arguments behind gender as a separate category from sex. Again I'm looking for more third wave feminism here so something like Second Sex isn't really relevant.
>>
>>8115151
The Handmaiden's Tale.

Also keep your baiting threads to a minimum. We already have one Ann Coulter shitfest thread, we need not another one devolving into political screaming from people who haven't read anything past high school.

Conserve these threads one at a time, if not never, to decline the little posting quality left.
>>
pluto - the greeks
>>
>>8115154
Read it, first of all.

Second of all fuck you. Did I say anything about feminism being wrong or did I try to start something by making an argument? No. I'm asking for recommendations to further my education on the subject, because it's an important topic, you sperg.
>>
>>8115157

Summer is truly here.
>>
>>8115162
>feminism
>important topic
found the cuck
>>
>>8115176
>building burning down
>"ha, who cares about fire? Pussies."
>>
Jesus christ this is lit not pol, is it so hard to give real answers or have intelligent conversations here?
>>
File: Bathing Women (1897).jpg (108 KB, 1024x704) Image search: [Google]
Bathing Women (1897).jpg
108 KB, 1024x704
>>8115162
If you are at all being serious.

See? This is why. >>8115176

/lit/ is devolving to the point feminism cannot be discussed in proper anymore. There are better places to discuss this than here, in this place.

I don't know if you want fiction, or non-fiction. Non-fiction is usually the place to go.

I'd recommend bell hooks or Angela Davis as an afternoon's read. On top of my suggestions >>8115154 here
>>
>>8115195
I want non-fiction, ala The Second Sex but for third wave feminism and gender theory.
>>
>>8115201
Bodies That Matter, Judith Butler.
>>
>>8115151
>has made me question the validity of things like gender and the legitimacy of transsexuality.
Clearly you missed Gender Trouble or you'd know gender doesn't real and transwhatevers are judged by the same postmodern hyperreal standard we all are.

Sex doesn't real either, it's an approximation, like how Bohr's model of the atom doesn't work but we teach it to teenagers because it's easier.

People with vaginas turn out to have XY chromosomes at times, and people with full facial hair and balls turn out to be XX. And that's before you get to XXY or XXXX or any other combination.

All kinds of intersex shit short of obvious to the eye hermaphrodism just doesn't get picked up on because it's easier to assume Julie who has always had a vagina is a girl, rather than checking if she's really XX, until Julie shows up in the ER with a pain in her internal testicles, or tries to run a professional 400m sprint.

Second Sex is relevant because a lot of what Beauvoir says about women being created and how womanhood is defined plays into whether you think you're looking at Julie or Jules. Julie 1 who has XX chromosomes but looks like a trucker and speaks an octave lower than you might be a hard call, but you're not going to check her pants to see if she's just a dude pretending to be a butch woman. Julie 2 might look like a supermodel, but keep her penis taped to her ass crack, and you'd probably go home with her from a bar before Julie 1 if you don't pantscheck everyone you become acquainted with. Julie 3 might look like an average woman, but because she acts like an austimo, she loses womanly points because she's not fitting the role as well as Julie 2 does. Jules might seem like a long haired faggot and get treated like a male until one day you see her going into the women's bathroom and realise you just misread her plainness and name as male tells, and this whole time she's figured you knew Jules was short for Julie, and didn't indicate the male given name. Beauvoir's definition of femininity, despite her general retardedness and creepiness, is very accurate in that those women who don't adopt the feminine mystique and are just spergers who don't think about their behaviours or presentation passing as female tend to get read as more male.

>tl;dr- qt traps are more wimmins than fat bitches who have left grooming go. which orifices they have only matters when they let you into their pants, which most people are adverse to if you've just met them, and can contain all kinds of surprises
>>
>>8115165
in the symposium plato gives aristophanes a theory of traps to counterpoint socrates' theory of wisdom
>>
>>8115228

>tl;dr- qt traps are more wimmins than fat bitches who have left grooming go.

Gonna have to agree with you there friend. But how common are people whose chromosomes don't match up? I heard about some of them in that Eugenides book, apparently some of them have pretty severe developmental disabilities and some of them you might never tell.
>>
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/JMichael-Bailey/TMWWBQ.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj4uqnVnYrNAhUD6RQKHemCC30QFgglMAI&usg=AFQjCNG6w-BF-oPO0Ix9LROlXZS6dRJN6A
>>
>>8115254
There's been a lot of scandals over the past decade or so since they brought in testing for this type of shit in sports- lots of female athletes who spent their lives as women got told they were, according to the rules, technically female.

Chromosome abnormalities in general (not just X and Y variations) are being looked at as the source of a lot of cancers, and, because of things like chimerism, your chromosomes might be different in different cells or parts of your body and you may not find just one chromosomal profile in one person. i.e. one arm might have a different profile to the rest of your body.

X and Y variations are pretty common. Which variations you get might be rarer than others, but not all of them are symptomatic. Klinefelter syndrome I think is still considered the most common, which is somewhere between one in 500 and one in 1,000 births. All it usually does is make females infertile and have smaller boobs along with other minor variations which wouldn't seem out of the normal range. It's not like when you meet a woman with small boobs who has little interest in sex with you that you think "ah 47XXY problems", and usually it's not pathological enough that anyone goes to a doctor about it until they want kids.
>>
>>8115293
Hilarious.
>>
>>8115303
Not particularly
>>
>>8115303
if you want real keks, look up XXXX syndrome and the debate over whether calling them "superfemales" was fair to females
>>
>>8115293
>who spent their lives as women got told they were, according to the rules, technically female.
technically NOT female, sorry
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.