[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writers general? Submissions, first drafts, edits, rejections,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1st-draft-shit.jpg (72 KB, 440x550) Image search: [Google]
1st-draft-shit.jpg
72 KB, 440x550
Writers general?

Submissions, first drafts, edits, rejections, habits, etc. I finally got my first acceptance. It was submitted roughly four months ago, way beyond their "we answer by" date, so I withdrew it to polish and submit elsewhere. Got this email after I withdrew.

Hi Anon,

I'd like to apologize for taking an incredibly long time to respond to your submission, "Insert Decent Title" We've been putting the finishing touches on our fifth print issue, so things have been a little hectic around here.

All excuses aside, we like your story very much and would like to publish it among our future content. Please let me know if this suits so I can send a formal acceptance your way.

Regards,
Managing Editor
>>
File: 5935242.jpg (102 KB, 540x524) Image search: [Google]
5935242.jpg
102 KB, 540x524
Current workload/projects?

Out and about, waiting for a rejection from Apex for this horror story I created in a workshop. The teacher said I probably set my sights a lil high for submitting to that publication, and offered some alternatives for when it ends up getting rejected.

I had two flash pieces submitted, one pretty good, one kind of out there. Decided to let a local no pay, but credible journal run with the good one. It had already been submitted before I had vowed no more no pay submissions.

First draft of a short story is finished as of two days ago. I want to let it cool for a week before rewrites, but I don't have anything else I'm working on at the moment.

I've had a first draft of a novel done that I could edit in the meantime, but it's my first, so you can already guess the kind of quality it is. Not sure if all the rewrites in the world can save that thing.
>>
File: making it stop.png (132 KB, 289x268) Image search: [Google]
making it stop.png
132 KB, 289x268
I'm Scandinavian and it's unbearably hot right now. I have a time thinking with the heat. Is there any tips from experienced anons how to keep cold and lower your body temperature during summer? What I am trying right now is sitting in a draft with a bucket of cold water under my desk and dipping my feet in it occasionally.

>26 degerees celsius and cloudy
i am pathetic

>>8113764
I finished a third re-write myself a while ago. It's my first "finished" novel, and I am going through it right now. I have high hopes. It's a notch above everything I've done before and I find it genuinely interesting to read. It's still absolutely disgusting, but the first chapter is finished, which is a great success.

What's the horror story about? I like horror stories.
>>
Waiting for a literary prize result. I doubt I'll win, but who knows. I'd be happy to be among the finalists though.
>>
>>8113785
I used to live in this apartment in Florida that was so hot I'd get heat blisters just sitting in there during the summer. Tried the cool water in jugs with fan blowing over, but nothing worked.

It was my first horror story sort of. The instructor was teaching that and I wanted to get in a class with him, so took it. He's very linear, a,b,c, traditional, and kinda sneers at "artsy" stuff, so we had some disagreements on my structure, but overall we made it a good story.

It's about a guy with problems, and something that starts to eat all his problems.

What's your plan with the novel? Submit to agents? Self publish?
>>
>>8113821
Details?
>>
Reminder that Lord Dunsany wrote all his works start to finish in one sitting in one draft, and is a better writer than anyone here will every be no matter how many drafts you do
>>
>>8113824
>Self-publish
m8 there's no need to call me a shitty bitch with no future out of nowhere

I'll submit it to the publishers as we do here. They stopped taking paper copies last year so you send it to them in .pdf. Kind of disheartening, really. But, I'll do it and clench my bottom for two months for rejection, and take it from there. I still have a month or two of work to put down in it. I feel ridicilous for saying it but I actually believe there's a chance of positive response. It's not my first time on the go-around and I've been rejected before, but this seems better. As I said, I've improved my game significantly since then.

>It's about a guy with problems, and something that starts to eat all his problems.
Are you afraid I'm gonna steal the idea or something because if that was the back-side text I'd chuck it right back in the 50 cent bin faster than i do anything by women
>>
>>8113838
A Brazilian literary prize. There are two categories: novel and short stories. I sent an entry for novel. I wrote it last year, 80k words. The winner will be published and marketed by a big publishing house around here. The problem in Brazil is that the only way to be read is winning one of these contests or being known before publishing anything.
>>
>>8113853
you lie
>>
>>8113853
He's also dead.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.