[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most passionate novel you've ever read, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: the brothers karamazov.jpg (303 KB, 1400x2092) Image search: [Google]
the brothers karamazov.jpg
303 KB, 1400x2092
What's the most passionate novel you've ever read, /lit/?
>>
William Gaddis - Agape Agapē

Maybe it's because an angry old man is dying and writing one last banger, but it is nothing short of pure fury
>>
File: tfios.jpg (881 KB, 1178x1600) Image search: [Google]
tfios.jpg
881 KB, 1178x1600
>>
>>8112371
>reading translations
>>
My Twisted World.

I am not even joking, Elliot cut through all the reactionary bullshit that the mongrel OP lapped up and gave us a raw and unfiltered coming of age classic.

I challenge the mongoloids on /lit/ to prove me wrong. Note that prose and repetition have nothing to do with emotion.
>>
>>8112407
sick of this meme
>>
>>8112387
>spending 10 years learning a language so you can read a single book
>>
>>8112432
just don't read books if they aren't originally written in your native language. simple as that
>>
>>8112407
Seeing the Hajj we're getting from /r9k/ I'm not even sure if this is bait or not
>>
>>8112432
>Taking 10 years to learn a language
>>
>>8112445
Alriget anon you've convinced me
>>
>>8112445
defend your thesis
>>
>>8112454
why would you even...it's obviously insincere
>>
>>8112456
What is.
>>
>>8112459

This:

>just don't read books if they aren't originally written in your native language.
>>
>>8112470
Ok let me translate my post into a longer one.

What is insincere about reading a translated book?
>>
>>8112470
that's sincere. Reading a translated book is nothing like reading the original. the prose gets all fucked up.
>>
File: 97951.jpg (18 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
97951.jpg
18 KB, 267x400
>>8112371
I honestly don't think Celine's postwar novels are very good but the sheer level of hatred in them is astounding
>>
>>8112478
>Reading a translated book is nothing like reading the original.

So? Different =/= bad. I don't know why people fail to grasp this. Of course you shouldn't read a translated work as if it were the original, and pretend you've read it how it was "intended to be read." But a translated work can still be a work of great artistic merit, and even exceed the original.

tl;dr Original does not mean perfect, and different does not mean shit.
>>
>>8112477
Let me translate my post into a longer one. I wasn't calling the act of reading a translation insincere. I was calling the other person'should post insincere. The implication that you shouldn't read a work simply because it's translated is either insincere or fucking inane.
>>
>>8112491
you dishonor the author. great shame.
>>
>>8112500
seppuku. it is the only way.
>>
>>8112371
New to /lit/ and reading in general. I picked this up alongside some high school novels to ease myself into it: 1984, Animal Farm, Down and Out in Paris and London, Slaughterhouse Five. After reading all those other books, would I be able to tackle something like Dostoevsky, or should I find some other literature to help me work up to it?
>>
>>8112622
Brothers Karamazov isn't particularly difficult to read, it's just long

go for it
>>
>>8112622
If you can get through those you should be able to read Brothers Karamazov. For me personally it was easier to read and understand than Crime & Punishment, probably because its so damn funny and quirky.
>>
>>8112371
ayyy nice meme
>>
>>8112627
>>8112642
Good to know. Any other essential Dostoevsky I should know about besides Crime and Punishment.
>>
>>8112668
Notes from the Underground and The Idiot.
>>
Light In August or Farewell to Arms
>>
>>8112456
So you admit defeat?
>>
>>8112450
>not taking 10 years to learn a language
>>
>>8112694
? What are you talking about?
I'm >>8112491.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.