[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do you guys think about him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: alan-watts.jpg (21 KB, 255x330) Image search: [Google]
alan-watts.jpg
21 KB, 255x330
what do you guys think about him?
>>
File: 1455798549509.png (730 KB, 1198x1610) Image search: [Google]
1455798549509.png
730 KB, 1198x1610
>>8108767
>>
He's superb, but /lit/ will hate him because he wrote for a broad audience and there was actually a point to his philosophy. Recommended.
>>
>>8108767
I like his talks. Have only read Man Woman and Nature, but I enjoyed that also.
>>
Fun to read. He's a good introduction to various Eastern religious ideas; if you like what he's cooking, drop him and start reading authors who are closer to the source so to speak

Just don't be that kid who reads one of his books and then acts super enlightened. Plenty of people I know at college did that and it was irritating.
>>
>>8108900

I did this. I wish I could punch myself in the teeth for that.
>>
>>8108767
Isn't he new age trash? Genuinely asking because I don't know.
>>
>>8108984
Yes.

>>8108796
No. /lil/ hates him because he regurgitates bland feelgoods dressed in an interchangeable but academic-sounding vocabulary and then throws them at burnouts, hippies, psychonauts, and general wishful thinkers who refuse to read anything with content.

>>8108767
He's less interesting than terence mckenna. At least when terence talks me in circles I'm happy to have gone nowhere.
>>
>>8108990
>bland feelgoods

As opposed to most authors celebrated here who preach cynicism and general malaise with life? Philosophies are like operating systems, you use what you want to guide your through your life the best. If I want to believe Alan Watt's theory that life is generally a dance, a game and something to be celebrated, should I feel stupid because it doesn't have "content?"
>>
irrelevant. nothing you cant get in a better shape somewhere else.

that is spirituality for the slave who doesnt want or cant make the effort by himself.
>>
>>8108990
>/lil/
kill you're self lel
>>
>>8109080
>klil you're slelf lil
>>
>>8108767
neoliberal new-age scum, eastern "philosophy" is a joke, ontology in general is actually even a joke and waste of time
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.