[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys read your poetry books? Do you read it cover
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: Ezra Pound.jpg (39 KB, 464x325) Image search: [Google]
Ezra Pound.jpg
39 KB, 464x325
How do you guys read your poetry books?

Do you read it cover to cover? Do you just browse them ocassionaly?

Personally, I usually read them all in one or two sittings, mark my favorite poems, and then come back to those later on. There are a few books on my shelves, however, which I've been just browsing for years now: I've read a lot of poems from my complete edition of Yeats, for instance, but I haven't yet read all of it.

If it's a book-lenght poem, such as the Odyssey, then I always read it from cover to cover, just like I do with a novel, although I sometimes come back to read separate cantos.
>>
>>8108338
I'm currently working my way through Dickinson's collection of poems. So far I've been reading it for periods of 15 minutes tops, marking stuff I like, and setting it down while I do other stuff or read the novel I'm working through. Hers are so short though, its hard to read it for very long just because it means I'll go through 50 poems
>>
I keep one in my backpack and read a few poems between classes if I can find somewhere quiet (and sometimes away from people so I can read quietly to myself).

Going through a collection of Kipling right now. Its okay.
>>
>>8108456
Kipling’s greatest fault was that as a master of his craft he could o anything and thus may of his poems are spiced with dialects and the kind of wordplay that precludes them from being read more then ones.

As for reading . If its a poem Im familiar with where I know the stress and beats I usually just read whenever. But in the case of new poems I prefer to sit down alone and scan them multiple times before I feel satisfied. Then again im horrible at reading the stuff out so im probably not the best example out there
>>
If it's a short collection I'll read the whole thing. Collections (Conplete Yeats, Eliot, etc.) are just too dense and there is too much there to read straight through so I usually just pick me way through them slowly until I've read the whole thing.
>>
>>8108338
Any good poetry books for beginners?
>>
>>8109144
Kipling is a good place to start. He is an accessible yet very talented poet. His works, combined with 101 Famous Poems (my grandma's copy from the 30s but it is still in print), started my love of poetry.
>>
>>8109170
Thanks! I've always wanted to learn how to appreciate poetry so im going to start reading soon
>>
>>8108338
Usually in medium length sessions. If it's a short book that means cover to cover if it's thicker it's more like occasional browsing.
>>
File: Ezra_Pound_1963b.jpg (287 KB, 695x611) Image search: [Google]
Ezra_Pound_1963b.jpg
287 KB, 695x611
I have Ezra pound reading Usura and other parts of the Cantos on my MP3 player.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6r2Nm0ZMo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fUEYs3TsFA
>>
Were Pound and Yeats really fascists, or is all that just defamatory?
>>
File: dthomas.jpg (15 KB, 286x289) Image search: [Google]
dthomas.jpg
15 KB, 286x289
Rage anyone ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LEr6vqWh2w
>>
File: ozymandias1.jpg (598 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
ozymandias1.jpg
598 KB, 2592x1944
And Ozymandias
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPlSH6n37ts
>>
>>8108338
I have trouble reading more than 5-10 poems from a collection at a time. It just feels too intense.
>>
>>8109800
Any intelligent man becomes a fascist, either in his senescence or afterward.
>>
>>8109803
god damn that video just reminds me how shitty interstellar was
>>
>>8109811
I think this is quite a good reading.
>>
File: 1327259404001.jpg (75 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
1327259404001.jpg
75 KB, 600x441
>>8109820
If you cut out the phenomenal tearjerking and the crappy ending, it was actually pretty decent. Not on 2001 or Stalker/Solaris level, but better than most other scifi.
>>
>>8109818
same with me. i'll only read a handful per session, then wait at least a day (oftentimes more) before reading a few more.
>>
File: Collier_1891_rudyard-kipling.jpg (59 KB, 617x752) Image search: [Google]
Collier_1891_rudyard-kipling.jpg
59 KB, 617x752
Here is Kipling's "If"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tTeZNfwesg
>>
>>8109800
Pound was. I don't know about Yeats though.
>>
>>8109847
Seconded. I kept waiting for Coop to die in order to give the film some sense of pathos, but instead we get backslapping, time magic and star wars.
>>
File: 220px-Robert_Frost_NYWTS_4.jpg (11 KB, 220x287) Image search: [Google]
220px-Robert_Frost_NYWTS_4.jpg
11 KB, 220x287
The Road not Taken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqVgyq8d96c
>>
>>8109881
That music is just too much. Every reading of "If" I come along focuses too much on making it "epic," and it just comes across as incredibly fucking lame.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.