[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japan's must have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Ningen Shikkaku.jpg (5 KB, 175x288) Image search: [Google]
Ningen Shikkaku.jpg
5 KB, 175x288
I'm going to Japan in a few weeks, I have read many books from Japan but only a couple of books in actual japanese.
So, Im planning to get a bunch in a second hand book store: No longer Human, a couple of meme Murakami, Kinkakuji, Kokoro and I am a cat. What else should I get?

And in a related note, do you believe that original works are always superior?
>>
Abe, Oe, Kawabata, Tanizaki, Endo, and Mishima.
>>
The box man by kobo Abe: -)
>>
Check out Japanese Kurt Vonnegut at least once.
>>
>>8106092

Also, in answer to:
>And in a related note, do you believe that original works are always superior?

While people often claim this is true, there's no reason it has to be.
This is similar to the question of whether a film adaptation of a book can be superior to the book. Being in a different medium, the film will most likely fail to achieve in the same aspects that the book does, but will succeed in others, and perhaps, based on one's criteria, be judged as a superior work of art.
Another language isn't another medium, but you get the point.
>>
>>8106092
Specific works or anything from them?
>>
>>8106123
If you're relatively new to Japanese lit, you can't go wrong by simply choosing their most popular works.
>>
Reki Kawahara is a more recent author but outstanding author. You should definitely check out his oeuvre.
>>
>>8106122
While I understand your point I dont agree, as you said they are not different mediums, they're just different words being used. And knowing that there are words that just don't/can't be translated properly, the original work feels more complete
>>
>>8106081
>I am a cat
Honestly, I think everything from Sanshiro and later is better than 'I am a cat'
Don't know if you read them, as you say you have read many Japanese lit, but anyway.
>>
>>8106129
Nice, thanks.

>>8106136
Never herad of him, will check out, thanks
>>
>>8106145
>knowing that there are words that just don't/can't be translated properly, the original work feels more complete

This implies, however, that the original work is perfect and can't be improved upon. Which is a false notion. You're holding up the original work as the gold standard; of course any translation necessarily falls short. But if you treat the translated work as a different work, which it is, and judge them objectively according to an external standard of Good Art, there's no reason the translated version cannot be a superior work.
>>
Borges
>>
>>8107323
you mean Murakami?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.