[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It is normal to have difficulty reading philosophy books at 19?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: alignment-philosophers-2.jpg (227 KB, 825x1024) Image search: [Google]
alignment-philosophers-2.jpg
227 KB, 825x1024
It is normal to have difficulty reading philosophy books at 19?

I've been reading Lovecraft and George R. R. Martin since I was 17 but I still have problems reading complex texts, how can I improve?
>>
literally start with the greeks
>>
File: 1464530557126.jpg (59 KB, 400x549) Image search: [Google]
1464530557126.jpg
59 KB, 400x549
>>8105695

>Tfw read the Critique of Pure Reason at 15
>>
You're trying to be like the pseuds on here and read philosophy after reading 4/10 difficulties

Read harder fiction and then try philosophy if you must, alrhough there really probably isnt much there for you
>>
>>8105695
figure out log. args. and just go from there. also– read slowly, then re-read
>>
>>8105702
is The Republic a good start?
>>
>>8105721
No, if you want to start with Plato, start with the dialogues concerning the trial of Socrates (Euthyphro>Apology>Crito>Phaedo)
>>
File: vanhalen.jpg (36 KB, 639x362) Image search: [Google]
vanhalen.jpg
36 KB, 639x362
>>8105695
>It is normal to have difficulty reading philosophy books at 19?

yes. yes it is. when i was 19 i played guitar in a band, travelled around a lot, squandered all my money and took lots of drugs. philosophy books didn't really enter into it.

my recommendation to you is to throw away plato and devote yourself to the gospel of eddie van halen. it will have more benefit to you in the long run.
>>
>>8105695
read what you don't understand (sentence, paragraph, chapter, book) until you do. that is, if you are sure you are equipped to understand it. Anyone can superficially understand Machiavelli's Prince even if they don't know Italian History and "Political science", but you would have to have an idea of past epistemologic thoughts to understand Kant, for example.
>>
>shit tier
-lawful neutral
-chaotic neutral
-chaotic evil
>meh tier
-true neutral
-neutral good
-chaotic good
-lawful good
-lawful evil
>god tier
-Neutral Evil

fight me
>>
>>8105888
>shit tier
the concept of tiers
>>
I read Aristotle's Metaphysics when I was 2 and a fucking half, in the original Greek.
>>
File: ey bbyyy.jpg (55 KB, 736x734) Image search: [Google]
ey bbyyy.jpg
55 KB, 736x734
>>8105870
Why can't we read and play music, anon?
>>
>>8106078
Is it a spook?
>>
>>8106078
I think tiers are fun as long as we acknowledge them unseriously.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.