[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it out of print?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: 220px-JRnovel.jpg (21 KB, 220x314) Image search: [Google]
220px-JRnovel.jpg
21 KB, 220x314
Why is it out of print?
>>
Its critique of capitalism was too threatening to the system so They are trying to supress it.
>>
>>8105508
There are enough extant printed copies to satisfy the demand for printed copies, therefore no commercial basis to print more
>>
Also the cheapest copy I can find on Abe costs 80 euros. What the hell is up with this book?
>>
>>8105520
>There are enough extant printed copies to satisfy the demand for printed copies

It's not for sale anywhere, so that is obviously not the case.

Maybe his estate is doing something stupid?
>>
>>8105559
That's a German translation.
>>
>>8105570
Also German. It's in print in German and French by the way. It's only in English that they're not selling it.
>>
>>8105569
oh my bad
>>
Anyway, I pirated the shit out of it. If they don't want my money, their loss.
>>
>>8105508
Because Dalkey a shit. There seems to be something of a Gaddis revival going on now though, since I've seen The Recognitions and a couple of his other books prominently displayed in several bookstores lately, so it's only a matter of time before a reprint.
>>
>>8105591
Mind sharing it, friend?
>>
>>8105893
libgen.io
>>
>>8105508
Because its a meme book. And, like all good memes, they fade to obscurity sooner or later.
>>
>>8105508
There are official ebooks that's better than most out of print books
>>
>>8105997
If it had faded to obscurity the second-hand copies would be going for $0.01, not $80.
>>
>>8106018
The scalping going on with it is fucking ridiculous yet ironically appropriate given the book's theme.
>>
>>8105634

Hi everyone.

I ordered JR from a local bookshop last October. Turns out Dalley are out of issues and have switched their suppliers three times in the last two years.
>>
>>8106351
I find this entirely unsurprising. Dalkey seems like a total shitshow, even if their goal is of keeping things that no one else is publishing in print is admirable.
>>
>>8106351
How can they afford the rights if they are so incompetent? Surely publishing is a competitive business.

Did they give you an ETA?
>>
>>8106372
I doubt the rights to anything by Gaddis are all that expensive seeing as how no one other than Dalkey is even printing The Recognitions or JR in English anymore.
>>
It's not that expensive to just buy. I purchased the first edition paperback (printed simultaneously with the hardcover) for $60 in like new condition. You could probably get a good copy for less than $50 online or dirt cheap if you manage to find it in person.
>>
>>8106459
>$60 for a yellowed old paperback that could be falling apart
>not expensive
Are you high?
>>
>>8106863
>like new
>yellowed old paperback
Stay illiterate, pleb.
>>
>>8106911
I don't believe that anything from the 50s is going to be "like new" over 60 years later.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>8106925
>>
>>8106935
Show me what color the pages are.
>>
>>8106943
No can do. I'm out of town and just had that pic on my phone from when I posted in the recent purchases thread a couple weeks ago.
>>
>>8106925
Dalkey reprinted it in 2012, cockrocker.
>>
>>8106969
>first edition
>>
>>8106925
if they have been sitting on shelves for 60 years then why not? My library has first edition Nabokov books that must have been read by at least a dozen people that are in great shape
>>
>>8106372
>ETA
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.