[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I expect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 19108.jpg (38 KB, 294x475) Image search: [Google]
19108.jpg
38 KB, 294x475
What can I expect?
>>
>>8105360
It's not as hard to deal with as people say and the worldbuilding is ok the first time, but it quickly gets old. The characters don't say much, but the many things implied makes them believable and emotionally charged. Overall, the best aspect of it is probably the minimalistic storytelling provided by the environment itself. My favorite part was right at the end, when you expect a grand finale that goes beyond your wildest dreams but instead you find an old, defeated man, irrationally clinging to his long lost world an his younger self.
My favorite character is that noble but somewhat comical man on an impossible, Quixotesque quest for what he believes in, in contrast to the dark, bleak world we are exposed to. I feel that Solaire of Astora was one of the best characters in the series, and that dead souls 2 and 3 weren't as innovative as the first one.
Hope it helps.
>>
I really loved this book. The repetition gives it a fairytale esq appeal while driving you down a path of ultimate despair.
>>
If you've never read Gogol before, you may want to read some of his short works first. He is a very strange and unique writer, and you have to acclimate yourself to his style before you start picking up on the subtleties of his writing.
>>
I heard P&V are shit translators who basically translate it twice and fuck it up.

What translation should i read?
>>
>>8105554
You are correct. The Guerney translation is the best
>>
>>8105551
Also, remember that Gogol is one of the greatest humorists ever. His writings may tackle deep and serious themes, but he is just as often aiming at comedy
>>
>>8105554
Donald Rayfield (the NYRB edition)
>>
>>8105360
>What can I expect?
Lots of fun. Although it's actuall pretty sad.
>>
>>8105554

Eh. I have both Dead Souls and Collected Short Stories translated by P&V. They're actually fine for Gogol. The meme originates from their atrocious work with Dostoevsky.
>>
>>8105637
Their work method is the same for Gogol as it was for Dostoevsky. If you're going to believe the latter meme then the former one applies as well, stop rationalizing your bad purchase. Or you can use your brain and stop believing stupid memes here.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.