[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't Science Fiction taken seriously?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 184x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 184x375
Why isn't Science Fiction taken seriously?
>>
Scientology is more serious than a heart attack.
>>
>>8105257

Some of it is though. It's just that most of it sucks.
>>
It was at one point, wasn't it? There's a whole period where sci-fi was rolling out all kinds of strange ass ideas on humanity and our future and all that. It kind of came and went, it seems. And as always, most genre fiction is terribad. With sci-fi and fantasy it seems you do not actually have to be good at writing or forming great concepts, you just have to have "good or convincing worldbuilding."
>>
Its called """Magical realism""" now
>>
>>8105285
I love how this use of quotes indicates the post can be immediately discarded and I don't even have to read it.
>>
>>8105285
stop
>>
>>8105280
>With sci-fi and fantasy it seems you do not actually have to be good at writing or forming great concepts, you just have to have good or convincing worldbuilding.
That's not true. You need to be good at everything else to be a good sff author, unless we take chick lit as representative of realism and Sanderson as representative for sff.
The plebiean mass is there for all movements and genres.
>>
>>8105257
Most people who write science-fiction and fantasy aren't usually writing it seriously. They don't write it with literary purpose.

Nearly everyone I know who starts a big writing project, they jump head first into a fantasy epic, outlining their swash-buckling world and what they believe to unique and interesting lore. The thing is, they forget about the quality of the writing in that process.
>>
>>8105268
He said science fiction. What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>8105320
You're acting like I'm wrong
>>
>>8105343
It's science-fiction cos-play, for the real die hard fans.

Nothing pussy like Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc. fans.
>>
never let me go won some awards and shit

not sure if that counts as sci-fi, and not sure if 'awards and shit' counts as being taken seriously
>>
>>8105257
Because of Infinite Jest. It has pretty much tainted the rest of the genre.
>>
>>8105512
by tainted do you mean, it's set the bar so high that every trashy sci fi novel that came before it looks like a huge joke (an infinite jest if you will :^)) in comparison?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.