[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
E/lit/e , i give you The MemeQuads.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 2
File: memequads 1.png (608 KB, 437x592) Image search: [Google]
memequads 1.png
608 KB, 437x592
Gassposting became a meme, so The Tunnel is in place.

Gaddis is getting daily threads, so he's fit.

Women and Men is thick, long and as hard to read as it is to find.

And 2666 is basicly the South-American replacement for Infinite Jest. It has been considered for multiple trilogy-pretenders.

It's not anglo-based, it's hard, obscure (except for 2666), it's talked about here, it's alive.

Face it. They deserve it.

Ignore the other thread up now, it's an imperfect draft, but an inspiration in the search for the true memequads nonetheless. The mere spark that lit this fire.
>>
Why are you posting this if you haven't rad any of the books
>>
>>8105073
I've read 2 of those.
>>
>>8105073
>>8105076
He's not Op. I've read two, am reading the tunnel and can't get my hands on Women and Men (which is why it's meme).
>>
>>8105076

He said rad, not read. Answer again, fool.
>>
>>8105088
How do i rad a book?
>>
Get rid of 2666

I think it's become apparent that Recognitions/Tunnel/W&M is the true sequel to the meme trilogy.

Speaking of, what was the result of that forced attempt to make another meme trilogy? It was close to this, but I forget. In any case, it was somewhat prophetic, two or all three of those books have become true memes, to the point where you can say we do have a new meme trilogy in these books. God bless the trilogy.
>>
>>8105093
Stay pleb
>>
>>8105106
I don't think a book literally almost nobody has read should be in the sequel to the meme trilogy
>>
yeah take out 2666 and replace the recognitions with J R. the recognitions is to easy to read.
>>
Fuck this, long live old meme trilogy. This can be gay meme trilogy if you want
>>
>>8105132
It's a meme precisely because no one ever read it though. That aspect of it makes it the biggest meme of them all.
>>
>>8105135
I like this post, for the implication of high literacy level and subsequent grammar problems.
>>
>>8105184
old meme trilogy were actually books that people read, though. This new one is like the wew lad of memes, just shitty and poopy and crappy
>>
Stopped reading 2666 at some point last month or so. Dudes just met the publisher, they all have boners for the murrcan qt in their friend group and that seems to be all there is to it so far, in over 50 pages. Somebody convince me to keep reading?
>>
>>8105067
>no book that matches Ulysses in importance

>no book that matches Infinite Jest in defining our generation

>no book that matches Gravity's Random in lolsorandumb poopie harmonica

Good luck making it catch on OP.
>>
>>8105217
>murrcan qt

Just stop reading it. Fahrenheit 451 is more "your speed".
>>
>>8105217
you can't judge a book until at least halfway through. stay pleb faggot.
>>
Replace Women & Men with Underworld by Delillo and you've got yourself a proper meme trilogy.

I'm the guy that made the thread with JR in the lower right. I can agree that 2666 fits better.
>>
>>8105093
>not knowing how to rad a book
go back to r/books pleb
>>
>>8105223
>no book that matches Infinite Jest in defining our generation
Oh fuck off.
>>
>>8105249
Check your priv normie, there's no other book that defines the memetic generation we're a part of even half as well as IJ.
>>
>>8105217
http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/bolanor/2666.htm
>>
>>8105067
How tha fuck has Women and Memes never been reprinted
>>
>>8105223
The Recognitions is arguably a foundational text of postmodern literature. The Cannibal by Hawkes is more "important" but no one reads Hawkes and it's not long enough to be on a meme chart full of doorstops.
>>
>>8105263
It's expensive to reprint an 1100 page book, and stupid, since it's an avant-garde mindfuck nobody but /lit/ cares about
>>
>>8105266
*note: nothing in the current meme trilogy needs to be "argued" for; their spot has been earned indefinitely and shown to be "foundational" simply by existing
>>
>>8105263
It was in the 90s. McElroy sperged out and had it pulled or something at some point.
>>
>>8102972
>>
>>8105276
>ij
>foundational
Wew
>>
>>8105282
Easily more foundational than the obscurities OP is listing. The only ones who found these titles foundational were critics who read the novels half a decade (or more) after they were published.
>>
>>8105266
>The Recognitions is arguably a foundational text of postmodern literature.
Indeed. It was published the same year as Lolita (actually, three years before in the US/UK) - years before Barth, Hawkes, Pynchon etc hit the scene.
>>
>>8105274
That's when you go to Amazon and offer a prayer at their altar for an e-book. And by that I mean click the link that says "request e-book from the publisher."
>>
>>8105290
>years before Hawkes
The Cannibal was published in 1949, my dude. That's 6 years before The Recognitions.
>>
>>8105299
Women and Men is already online.

How do people not know how to use the internet outside of amazon?
>>
"Postmodernism" can be used at least in two ways – firstly, to give a label to the period after 1968 (which would then encompass all forms of fiction, both innovative and traditional), and secondly, to describe the highly experimental literature produced by writers beginning with Lawrence Durrell and John Fowles in the 1960s and reaching to the breathless works of Martin Amis and the "Chemical (Scottish) Generation" of the fin-de-siècle. We can reserve the term 'postmodernist' for these experimental authors (especially Durrell, Fowles, Carter, Brooke-Rose, Barnes, Ackroyd, and Martin Amis) while "post-modern" is applied to authors who have been less innovative.
>>
>>8105307
>ebooks
Memelit should only be read in print.
>>
>>8105332
so ebin
>>
>>8105299
>reading that big if a doorstopper as an ebook.

Completey killing the meme status. Nice plebbin.

I like this chart.
>>
Memes were a mistake.
>>
Having read all four all, I can confirm all are worthy as they are all excellent books that most people wouldn't read or perhaps even have heard of if it wasn't for their meme status. The Recognitions is my personal favourite , Women and Men is almost incompressible at time but is worth every bit of the hard work by the end and contains some of my favourite passages in literature, The Tunnel is as beautiful as it is detestable and filled with potential memes and 2666 is a book almost everyone on lit has read and loved and rightly so
>>
>>8105458
>and contains some of my favourite passages in literature

Care to post a few?
>>
>>8105477
>She arched and farted like Mona Lisa if you really looked at her and for good fruitarian measure.
>>
>>8105477
I don't have them memorised off by heart and my copies back at the library , but the section on the ship rock, Jim's meeting up with his father, George's lost year and the safe bomb are sections that have stayed with me since I read it over a year ago
>>
File: Moby-Dick_FE_title_page.jpg (103 KB, 840x1380) Image search: [Google]
Moby-Dick_FE_title_page.jpg
103 KB, 840x1380
Why don't you guys ever give credit to the book that invented memes?
>>
>>8105594
Because it isn't circlejerked enough here to give it a real "meme" status.
>>
Ok, OP here.
I see some discussion and i see anon's defending the memequads.
So it's decided! Since conflict , disliking eachothers opinion and discussion is (arguably) the part of /lit/'s foundation that set us apart from Plebbit, i've decided that you fags are showing the perfect amount of hating/loving the memequads.
Which means i'll be pushing them.

Gassposter got The Tunnel to it's rightfull meme status (i applaud you, fat, corpulent, chubby white fuck).

So yeah, i'm/we're gonna make this one stick.

Deep down you know it has a rightfull place here, like it or not.
>>
>>8105594

Tristram Shandy was the first meme book though
>>
>>8105223
The way is see it, we don't have to discredit the Trilogy, it's great, perhaps even greater than the memequads.

But every fuck that's ever picked up a book knows Joyce and plenty of normies know IF.

So normie fucks 'knew' two third's of the trilogy.
With some luck normies have heard about 2666. That's just 1 out of 4. So there's that.

IF is defining yes, but The Tunnel and The recognitions both have that /lit/ define misantrophy.

No they don't have the lols of Gravity's Rainow, but they have the random 100 pages of violence in 2666.

I think they can stick.

[and they will]
>>
>>8105594
It deserves credit, but it's too much of classic to be in the memequads.

It's like TBK or W&P.
We all read them (or should have) and loved them. But they aren't memes.

And you know it.
>>
>>8105752
I'd actually say The Recognitions is at least as funny as GR, even if it's more deliberately crafted.
>>
>>8105779
I agree, but i can see how it's not the same kind of humour and how it's less 'whacky'.
>>
>>8105067
I approve of this.
>>
>>8105266
I've read both The Recognitions and The Cannibal. Could you explain why you think Hawkes is the more important of the two?

To me, The Recognitions seemed to anticipate much more of what's interesting and innovative in the big postmodern stuff. The Cannibal seemed really indebted to modernism still, though obviously they're both somewhere in between.

Not being argumentative; I genuinely want a new perspective on this.
>>
>>8105331
This is an alarmingly British-focused statement for a tradition that almost everybody agrees was practiced more widely and more impressively by American writers. Can you explain yourself?
>>
>>8106618
>american literature
>relevant

pick 1
>>
>>8106659
Gaddis, Gass, Hawkes, Pynchon, DeLillo, and Wallace are probably the most discussed postmodernists here. All American.

Then there's Barth, Bartheleme, Coover, McElroy. You can't argue that it's not a mostly American tradition, but I'd really like for you to try and do so without just dismissing me out of hand.
>>
>>8106641

It's starting
>>
>>8106600
To me it's about who Hawkes was and how he approached the specific subject he dealt with in that book. When you consider the content in the context of it being published 5 years after WWII, written by an American who served in Germany during the war, and approaching it in a way that didn't romanticize it while also not striving for that banal sort of realism most works about events like that tend to fall victim to, it's extremely important. Structurally, it could be thought as an in-between point between modernism and postmodernism, but thematically it's one of the earliest works which encapsulates that postmodernist sense of skepticism, of ideals which were previously seen as inviolable truths of the world crumbling under their own weight into a toxic, dilapidated, deluded mess.

You'd never get anything like Gravity's Rainbow, Slaughterhouse Five, or any of the books that deal with wars or disasters or any other sort of catastrophic societal failure/collapse in atypical ways without it.

For all the vitriol Gaddis has for the shallow and vain facets of society as seen in the arts and "high" society, the fact that he still led a sheltered existence shows. Hawkes does a better job of portraying all the comedy and horror of total human degradation and the failed promise of early 20th century ideals. They were both born roughly around the same time, and both went to Harvard, so this isn't even a class thing so much as a difference in their experiences which comes through in their work.

tl;dr: Gaddis might be more relevant to the strictly technical aspects of postmodern writing, but Hawkes is more directly relevant to the broader spirit of what postmodernism stands for.
>>
>>8107157
Really interesting. Not sure I buy it, but I'm glad to have read it. Thanks for responding properly.
>>
>>8106699
OP here, i didn't even do that. The fire rises.
>>8107157
All memes aside, thanks for properly discussing anon. Nice arguments.
>>
>>8107157
cool post
>>
>>8107157
Thanks for the top shelf posting, lad.
>>
>>8105223
dump IJ keep Joyce and Pinecone from this toast
>>
>>8105067

>2666
>not vapid, edgy bullshit

Wow, I can't wait for 242069xnoscopex xd
>>
A thread I made on women and men, gives you a taste as I appear to one of the few on here to have actually read the full thing
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7312916#p7313019
>>
>No Infinite Jest
>>
>>8109698
Thanks for that anon, interesting stuff. Been waiting to get my hands on it!
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.