[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, I'm a high school teacher who has assigned my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
Hey /lit/, I'm a high school teacher who has assigned my kids (advanced, talented and gifted) Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I have to give a final on it, and am at a loss for thought provoking essay topic. Any ideas for a question that would be difficult, yet rewarding?
>>
Do any of your hot female students ever wear really revealing clothes in hot weather?
>>
>>8101223
what a stupid lie
>>
>>8101230
It's the truth unfortunately. I teach in New York state near the finger lakes. It's a pretty horrible job, but once in a while there are students who make it worthwhile.
>>
>>8101223
If you want to go really big:
>What does the struggle between the judge and the kid represent?
Something more contained:
>What do "good" and evil" mean in the context of Blood Meridian's characters? Which of the characters are the least evil?

But I'm curious, how old are your students and how did they respond to the book? were there any that were really awe-struck by the ending or did they just kinda fuck around? How do you go about teaching the book?
>>
>>8101260
That good and evil one is pretty solid.

You could also go for
>what is the relationship between mankind and war, according to the book?

or

>Explain the trichotomy between The Judge, The Kid, and The Ex-priest.

Or

>What did the relationship between The Judge and The Fool represent?
>>
>>8101223
I dont believe you. If you did this your department head is a retard and you fail to understand the reaction of parents who's children are reading about pedophillic mass murdering rapist demiurges. Fucking Jodi Picault started a war in my town.

Also if you want good quests go to the yale open course discussion on the work.
>>
>>8101223
As a good instructor I would hope it would be a topic that allows students to draw upon discussions and conclusions that have taken place throughout the course of reading it.

Then again I just hated being asked to come up with a fully-formed, well thought-out essay in under two hours without being able to think through things thoroughly, reread parts with that question in mind, and discuss it with others.
>>
I either don't believe you, or you're an idiot who is going to be disciplined for teaching your kids a book with that kind of gore and violence in it. Either way have fun with your life, retard
>>
The book is wasted on your kids t b h
>>
>>8101223
In what ways do Judge Holden represent gnosticism?
>>
>>8101223
Have them discuss the frontier myth and how it relates to the violence represented in the gang/ the judge/ the kid.

Or ask them to discuss the relationship between the Judge's quest for knowledge and violence re: "Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.”
>>
>>8101315
I forgot this one: How does the Christian concept of redemption through violence relate to the frontier myth as shown in Blood Meridian
>>
>>8101223
You deserve to be drawn and quartered for potentially creating a handful of vapid tortilla fucking corncobbers. Go Ye yourself, faggot.
>>
>>8101223
Does the world contain any order that was not put there by death?
>>
>>8101223
I'll assume that you're telling the truth even though that's probably a bad assumption to make on this website. So what's it like being a highschool teacher who browses 4chan, famalam?
>>
>>8101425
You rage in every McCarthy thread. Get over it pal
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.