[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Norwegian Lit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: kok.jpg (77 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
kok.jpg
77 KB, 620x372
I just finished the fifth book of Knausgaard's My Struggle.

Now I want to read more Norwegians.

Who are the best Norwegian novelists?
>>
>>8100555
There are not many. Here are some:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/21/top-10-norwegian-novels-dea-brovig-knausgard-hamsun
>>
He lists like 500 of them in the book you fucking idiot. Delete this thread.
>>
I just finished part 1 of Hunger.

I feel really bad for the protag t b q h...

>cool guy, refuses charity
>"T-today's my lucky day! Things will finally look up!"
>waits outside bank for the only person left in town that he knows to trade off the last of his belongings
>"really like to help you man but see - not an ore to my name right now my man!"
>"here take it, it's nothing, just everything I have in the world"
>cries while walking down some random street in Oslo

;_;

shit's sad

I gotta check out Knausgaurd.
>>
>>8100650
The movie is good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_5jW5mgKs
>>
>>8100647
This, fucking lol.
>>
>>8100645
>no ibsen
jeeeesus christ
>>
>>8102024
>ibsen
>novels

And OP check out: Askildsen, Vesaas, Undset, Loe, Bjorneboe, Scott, Heyerdahl, Gaarder (if you didn't start with the greeks), Hamsun, Kielland Asbjornsen&Moe, Lie... the list could go on
>>
>>8100555
Erland Loe is comfy. Naiv. Super. is about the recovery process after a job burnout.
>>
>>8100645
>https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/may/21/top-10-norwegian-novels-dea-brovig-knausgard-hamsun
Filthy pleb list
>by a woman
Explains it :^)

Nah but srsly, on that list only Hamsun and Vesaas is good. I enjoyed Naiv, Super, but I would call it more entertaining and experiemental than necessarily good.

Ibsen is of course one of the greats, albeit not a novelist. His best work is without doubt Emperor & Galilean, followed by Peer Gynt.

Check out "Thomas F's siste nedtegnelser til almenheten", some Bjorneboe is alright, too.

Many people dig Jon Fosse and Thomas Espedal but I haven't gotten into it yet myself.
>>
>>8100555
I had to read a doll's house in highschool. It was garbage, would not recommend
>>
Ham sun
>>
FARTHEST NORTH
>>
I'd suggest Strindberg, who's Swedish but it's the same kind of mood.
He's the Nordic Shakespeare in terms of importance
>>
File: 1464290898609.jpg (134 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
1464290898609.jpg
134 KB, 1000x800
>My Struggle

Hehe
>>
>>8100555
Jo Nesbo :D
>>
>>8101905
You're right, but a lot of them are modern or contemporaries, and it's hard to know where they stand in the grand scheme of the country's literature. I was hoping somebody could give me like a Top 5 greats list. I already know about Hamsun, and from my research it seems like people think Undset is in his league too, but who else is? That's really what I'm asking for.

Also, I hope Knausgaard's books lead to more Norwegian lit being translated into English. Dalkey Archive publishes a lot of Jon Fosse, but almost every time I would look up an author Knausgaard mentioned, they weren't translated, or only one book had been, and it was out of print.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.