[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Authors whose most famous works aren't necessarily their best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: humans.png (251 KB, 2000x2491) Image search: [Google]
humans.png
251 KB, 2000x2491
Examples taken from this thread: >>8099477

Hemingway (Old Man and the Sea)
Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet)
Conrad (Heart of Darkness)
Tolstoy (War and Peace)
Dickens (Tale of Two Cities, Christmas Carol)
Cormac McCarthy (The Road)
Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)
Dostoyevsky (Crime and Punishment)
Mark Twain (Tom Sawyer)
Jonathan Swift (Gulliver's Travels)

Anything else you guys can think of?
>>
that man has no dick and neither does the woman
>>
R.L. Stein (Night of the Living Dummy)
>>
>>8100122
That picture famously leaves out the male genitals because it was considered inappropriate to send into outer space.
>>
>>8100122
it's the plague from the pioneer probe

why do we tell aliens that our men have no dick -_-
>>
>>8100144
I don't know. I guess you just have to blame the conservative Christians at NASA for being afraid of the penis.
>>
>>8100135
>>8100144
>>8100150

>why do we tell aliens that our men have no dick

l2diplomacy, retards
>>
>>8100123
jej
>>
Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged
>>
>>8100113
I enjoyed several of Nabokov's novels much more than Lolita
>>
>>8100113
Faulkner. His most famous are Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying, but Absalom, Absalom is his best.
>>
>>8100135
>>8100144
>>8100150
And feminists think WOMEN are oppressed, heh.
>>
>>8100156

you think it was for that and not for the NASA guys being prude conservatives?
>>
>>8100441
You do know that that's not the real picture?
>>
>>8100113

Hunter S. Thompson (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)
Saint Big Dave the Walrus (Infinite Jest)
>>
>>8100288
Faulner's most famous stuff is As I Lay Dying and A Rose for Emily. The Sound and the Fury is actually read by a very small amount of people. But I agree, Absalom, Absalom is amazing
>>
What of Tolstoy's best work then?
>>
>>8100113

>Hemingway
He wrote that one book that I can't think of right now that was much better.

>Shakespeare
Everything he wrote was overrated, I agree that Romeo and Juliet is not that good.

>McCarthy
I'm partial to All the Pretty Horses and the sequel. Though I like his writing style a lot. The road isn't my first pick but it's not bad.

>Jane Austen
All around overrated.

>Dostoevsky
Solidly disagree

>Mark Twain
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is his best work, but it wasn't controversial, so no one cares about it.

Here's my two cents:
>Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
It's a good book, but from a philosophical standpoint Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide are much more thought provoking books.
>>
>>8100278
What would you say is better? I enjoyed Anthem quite a bit, but that and AS are the extent of my Rand reading.
>>
>>8100510
I have read neither, but Anna Karenina is generally listed as his greatest work. Sadly, I have patience for neither.
>>
>>8100113
That man should have a penis and that woman should have no split. When the aliens come, we need to have our stories straight.
>>
FS Fitzgerald.
His best is Tender is the night
>>
>>8100113
Camus, Stranger
>>
Hesse (Siddhartha)
Kafka (Metamorphosis)
Heller (Catch-22)
Steinbeck? (Is Of Mice and Men his most famous as I would presume?)
Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse-5)
>>
>>8100483
What did you think was better than fear and loathing in Las Vegas? I think it's great. Hells angels was pretty good but it's comaoring two different things
>>
>>8100144

Nice slip. You're the plague from outer space, fucking tripfag.
>>
Orwell (Animal Farm/1984)
Flaubert (Madame Bovary)
Burgess (A Clockwork Orange)
>>
>>8100460
Yeah it is... You might have seen another version, but that's just a photo chop.
>>
>>8100113
>Cormac McCarthy (The Road)
buttfuck no. The Road is so boring. just a series of essentially unrelated events that fizz out into nothing.

Faulkner's best book is Go Down, Moses.
>>
>>8101100
You realize I'm listing the most famous works that aren't the best, right
>>
>>8101100
oh fuck, misread the OP. I thought blood meridian was generally McCarthy's most famous book, but I guess that's just /lit/ tunnel vision.
>>
>>8101120
Lol yeah, that one wasn't on Oprah.
>>
>>8100687
Ok, what are your choices for each of the above, anon?
>>
>>8100687
Hesse's is Steppenwolf.
>>
File: trend.jpg (57 KB, 860x535) Image search: [Google]
trend.jpg
57 KB, 860x535
i couldnt believe that fyodor's most famous novel was crime and punishment so i looked it up on google trends and saw i was completely wrong, BUT i also saw this werid ass annual cycle for its popularity.

can someone explain whats going on? the peaks are sept-nov and then again in may. the troughs are december and july

i assume its like a russian holiday or something, but how can russians have two holidays for C+P (plus one of the peaks lasts for 3 months?)
>>
José Saramago
>>
>>8101202
Probably an academic schedule
>>
>>8101215
thats almost certainly what it is, nice catch
>>
>>8101100
you are a dumbass who didn't understand the road and because of that fact you discount the book

typical retard youth
>>
>>8101357
it was written to be adapted into a movie.
>>
>>8101084
>photo chop
That's what I meant. The original had the penis but not the vulva.
>>
>>8101411
No it didn't. That's the 'chop I was referring to. The one I posted as the OP for the thread is the real one.
>>
>>8101411
You're really giving Americans too much credit if you think they would've let a penis be sent into space.
>>
Delillo (White Noise)
Faulkner (The Sound and the Fury)
K Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?)
Kundera (The Unbearable Lightness of Being)
Roth (Portnoy's Complaint)
Saramago (Blindness)
Stendhal (The Red and the Black)
Vargas Llosa (The Feast of the Goat/The Bad Girl)
>>
>>8101416
>>8101421
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque
>>
>>8100113
>read Jane Austen for the first time
>start with Sense & Sensibility
>sentences are half a page long, with several grammatical structures to break them off in-between

Boy was I relieved when I got to Price and Prejudice.
>>
>>8100717
grr!
>>
>>8101202
Why did TBK become so popular in 2013?
>>
>>8100533
The Fountainhead
>>
>>8100535
Read them. They're not very dense, and Tolstoy is seriously a must read. Easily one of the best novelists if not the best
>>
>>8101202
assigned reading for american high schoolers
>>
>>8102732
Was it because of the Anna Karenina movie that came out just before?
>>
>>8102741
i liked the idea about 'a russian holiday or something' when russians massively begin to google for crime and punishment in english though
>>
>>8101416
see >>8102612
>>8101421
You're really giving Americans too much credit if you think they would've let a vulva be sent into space.
>>
>>8102612
Anyone can edit Wikipedia. That was probably just an act of vandalism.

>>8102795
What? You mean that one little line drawn between the female's legs? There's no way anyone could possibly think that's a big deal, lol.
>>
>>8101398
what does that have to do with anything
>>
>>8101398
I thought that was just No Country
>>
File: 1440876089102.png (9 KB, 51x65) Image search: [Google]
1440876089102.png
9 KB, 51x65
>>8102835

>looking up pictures of naked people and sex on wikipedia

Why didn't I catch on to that in middle school? I remember the first wikipedia article I ever read was the history of Switzerland in about 2005. So many missed opportunities for educational faps.
>>
>>8101100
My nigga. The Road is pure anus, most notably the kid and the ending. The kid is totally devoid of character and is only there to ask asinine questions so Dad can say "lmao god did it". He almost started developing a personality around when Dad gets rekt by a sharpened spoon but MaCarthy decided to instead have the only people who aren't cannibalistic maniacs blunder across them and adobt him the second Dad croaks so the kid reverts back to being a walking house plant
>>
I kind of thought Lolita was Nabokov's most solid story.
>>
>>8101398
This is bait.
>>
File: boxer detail.jpg (298 KB, 640x459) Image search: [Google]
boxer detail.jpg
298 KB, 640x459
>>8100113
>see this pic
>mfw people unironically think women can be beautiful
>>
Lovecraft ("The Call of Cthulhu")
Orwell (fiction)
Hemingway (novels)
Bradbury (Fahrenheit 451)

>>8100687
I would say The Grapes of Wrath is slightly more famous, but it could really go either way.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.