[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have been going back and forth between loving this and being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot 2016-05-29 14.37.10.png (485 KB, 440x669) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-05-29 14.37.10.png
485 KB, 440x669
I have been going back and forth between loving this and being really irritated by this. Should I stick it out (I just finished the bit at the beginning with the doctor and the suicide watch girl)
>>
final bump
>>
>>8098793
it's fucking shit
>>
do it. too many people end up with this book on hold and end up never finishing it. its kind of irritating when you are doing things like constantly looking at your page number wishing it were shorter but you should just take it easy and read another book on the side if you want
>>
>>8098793
That is one of the darkest moments and he goes into weed addiction a few times later on. If you don't like it, put it down. No one cares if you finish. Try A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again
>>
>>8098793
Im about 300 pages in atm

Things I've liked:
Gately's interaction with Day
Details of addiction with the guy going through withdrawal and psychosis
Long footnotes that completely take you away from the scene
The interactions between the incandenza family memebers

Things I haven't liked:
yrstruly
Short meaningless footnotes
Tennis stuff
The political stuff
The individual family members themselves

I feel like its just about to pick up though
>>
>>8099235
>Things I haven't liked:
>yrstruly
>Tennis stuff
>The political stuff
>The individual family members themselves

Shit taste. If you don't grow to love each of these by the end, "then the book's failed for you."
>>
>>8098793
If you liked any of it at all, it's worth finishing.
>>
if you decide to give up then at least skip through read all the phone conversations with hal and orin
>>
File: doc.png (1 MB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
doc.png
1 MB, 800x600
>>8098793
It's a book that wants you to hate it.
You will finish, possibly still hate it, but it'll sit with you. I audiobooked it at work 2 times in place of actually reading it, and I've gotten two others to read it. It's sat with me pretty well these last three years.
>>
>>8098793
Anon if you're thinking of stopping now, I don't know how to imagine you'll feel about the ebonics chapter.
>>
>>8099239
Alright
>>
it gets good again later on during the epic fight scene. but everything up to and after that is honestly a waste of time. I really wanted to like to book, but it felt like such a waste of time that i feel cheated for having read the whole thing. It would have been such a good book if he would have cut 700 pages and the fucking pointless endnotes
>>
>>8099338
>not skipping the ebonics chapter
ishygddt
>>
>>8099235
don't skip the short footnotes, very few but some are actually important but yeah most are there to distract and troll you.
>tennis stuff
When you come across the term Eschaton get your shit together and pay attention.
>political stuff
it's boring background world building stuff but does set up the ADR stuff later

not sayin you have to love it all, at pg 300 you're at the hard part, things will be slow until around 500
>>
I tried reading it and gradually came to be convinced that it's little more than a very well hyped 'intellectual' behemoth.
>>
>>8099272
but the audiobook has none of the endnotes anon
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.