[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>God is dead what did he mean by this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Nietzsche.jpg (632 KB, 1464x1986) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche.jpg
632 KB, 1464x1986
>God is dead

what did he mean by this?
>>
Belief in a God figure becomes increasingly difficult. Therefore God is dead. See any Western country for an example.
>>
>>8096362
Except the US...
>>
People always forget the "and we killed him" part
>>
>>8096372
It's a very shallow belief. I think it has more of a symbol value.
>>8096376
That part is very important.
>>
>>8096382

If religious countries like India and Brazil became major world powers in the next century, do you think it'll influence how the world views god?
>>
God, as a unifying cultural symbol and ideal, is dead. Centuries ago, artists would say almost in unison that they created art for the purpose of glorifying God. Now, if an artist were to say the same thing, their stated purpose for creating art would seem cheap and dishonest - pandering, even. God's importance in modern society has been shrinking and shrinking ever since Nietzsche's prediction. What used to be a cultural icon and symbol is now an opinion. God as an idea will never cease to exist, but it will never have the same cultural importance as it did. That's my understanding of it.
>>
God is complete; absolute.
>>
>>8096389
As above anon said, America is already a massively god fearing nation.
>>
I think Nietzsche/etc would be pretty pissed at how enduring religion (or at least, Christianity) has proven to be.
>>
>>8096659
he's not the only one that's pissed off at how long religion has endured. believe you me.
>>
Read the Parable of the Madman and you'll understand it.

Nietzsche did not argue that Europe was going to become fully atheist, he did not argue that religion in the late XIX century did not play an important role and he did not mean that God doesn't exist.

He argued that God as an entity upon which people base their morals no longer existed in the sense it did in previous centuries. If you read philosophers from the Enlightenment and before you will see how God plays a prominent role. He also predicted the fact that the values of society were starting to part from what organized religion preached.

But, most importantly, he was worried that people would become nihilists with the loss of God. He writes, in the Parable of the Madman,

>"How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whoever is born after us---for the sake of this deed he will belong to a higher history than all history hitherto."

>Here the madman fell silent and looked again at his listeners; and they, too, were silent and stared at him in astonishment.

He warned against the crowd of religion nay-sayers that had nothing to replace God's role in society, or preached outright nihilism and other sort of faggotry. This fits the theme of the Übermensch, since Nietzsche argued that the Will to power should be embraced as the driving source of human accomplishment and behavior.
>>
>>8096389
Brazil is not as religious as you think it is. Most Catholics are faggots who only say they're catholics but never go to mass or commemorate any religious holidays whatsoever. The real threat comes from Evangelicals, but these are still more prominent in the US than in other countries.
>>
>>8097943
cry more
>>
>>8097989
at least when all the religious people are dead they can't take their religion with them. the next generations will grow out of religion, we're in the embryonic stages of science and technology. once the human race becomes super human through biological enhancement, we'll look back in wonder at how inane our lives were.
>>
>>8096659
He was fully aware that the corpse of the faith would be worn as a cloak by all kinds of ne'er-do-wells. His contention was that people were no longer capable of deeply and sincerely believing in God, God as Truth, God as eternal, God's word as the sole arbiter of all moral conundrums.

Just look at progressive Christians, who are increasingly a larger share of them, who think it's okay to be gay, okay to be muslim, ect and you can still get into heaven if you're not a believer. Their religion is not truly Christianity but rather the cult of the media which tells them what they should believe at any given moment. I might even call it 2016ism, next year it will be 2017ism.

The funny thing about Nietzsche and the 'new atheists' is that Nietzsche had an issue with Christian values and had no quarrel with whether it was true or not, that wasn't important to him. The new atheists agree with Christian values via humanitarianism (which is being built up by secularists progressives as the new cult, just look at the humanity party's proposed constitution which literally calls the concept of humanity a god) yet fiercely attack Christianity for being untrue. Nietzsche is looking down on a vast coastline from the mountains while these guys use a magnifying glass to examine grains of sand on a beach.
>>
>>8097971
absolutely correct. Nice to see someone understanding Nietzsche for a change
>>
>>8096620
>As above anon said, America is already a massively god fearing nation.

That fact that weekly Church attendance isnt even close to 50% and continually declining indicates otherwise
>>
"man is a rope, tied between beast and superhuman - a rope over an abyss"

whats this abyss he's talking about?
>>
>>8098157
That's pretty much what Wikipedia says though.
>>
>>8098945
Nihilism and its inevitable result (the nonexistence of mankind).
>>
>>8098954
I didn't say it was Hard to understand
>>
The modern world is nihilistic.

Napoleon and Socrates and Michelangelo are what life is about.

Neets can all hang.
>>
>>8098945

>that comic

I didn't know evola drew cartoons
>>
A lot, but something I haven't seen anyone mention is the end of Platonic metaphysics, which is what dominated (in one form or another) the tradition until Nietzsche.

>We have unchained the Earth from the Sun

The Sun is kind of a big deal for Plato.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.