[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>find book I want to read >want to buy the hardback but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1463958768975.jpg (40 KB, 529x404) Image search: [Google]
1463958768975.jpg
40 KB, 529x404
>find book I want to read
>want to buy the hardback but the cover art is fuckugly and the paperback cover is way nicer
>>
>>8096156
>indulging in material fetishism
>>
>>8096159
>not indulging in material fetishism

If a sexy, hard cover or leather bound book doesn't get you off than you can GIT OUT
>>
>buying books

I'm sure all those pink haired girls you aren't fucking are really impressed you have a physical copy of Mason & Dixon anon
>>
>>8096168
>I like physical books because having a full bookshelf can be quite fulfilling :^) plus people who come over can see what I read
>>
I really can't stand reading hardcover books, hate when I can only get something in a hardcover edition.
>>8096174
Honestly can't read on screens, don't know how you people do it.
>>
>>8096176
Nice projecting there, friend.
>>
File: harrybloomington.jpg (835 KB, 1183x1200) Image search: [Google]
harrybloomington.jpg
835 KB, 1183x1200
>>8096179
If only there were sorts of mass book-sharing institutions available to the public so you don't have to shill out $15 in a manner clearly unsustainable to people that read regularly and aren't of unusual wealth or lifestyle
>>
>>8096199
Just repeating the arguments everyone always makes for this
>>
>>8096205
Not everyone has access to a well-stocked library, even university libraries here in this country are largely stocked with textbooks and lacking in source texts.

I also like to read at my own pace, reread, mark and note etc. in my books. I do get rid of books I feel like I don't need though.
>>
>>8096209
Would you like a list of why I like hard cover books?
okay

They feel nice in my hand
They don't wear out as fast as paper ones
When I lend them to people, they won't bend the spines.
(I remember my dad ALWAYS fucking did that. I had to spend days bending the paper ones back into shape.)
I can prop them open to read them

Down sides
when it wears out, and wears out in the worst way
they are expensive
they often come with dust jackets that will rip or tear
>>
>look at buying a book online
>10 different options of the one book to choose from
>don't know which to get and end up not buying any of them
Any of the editions of Infinite Jest particularly bad or good?
>>
>>8096156
>the hardback is nicer with good cover art but costs like 40 dollars more
Barnes & Noble: Not even once
>>
>>8097796
One of them has a minor printing error that some people shit themselves over but it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>8096221
>(I remember my dad ALWAYS fucking did that. I had to spend days bending the paper ones back into shape.)

Never go full autismo children.
>>
>pirate all books and read them on a Glo HD
>never have to deal with this
>>
Jesus, does the cover art or the exterior really fucking matter? This is all just autism. As long as the text is there, it should be fine. I mean, nice covers are nice, but those aren't important anyway.
>>
>>8096156
Paperbacks are strictly for gifts or collecters you fucking creep.
>>
I say without shame I have bought books from the US amazon, with three weeks delivery, purely for a nicer cover. Fetishism.
>>
>>8096156
The fact that you don't immediately remove the dust jacket and toss it in the trash indicates that you're a filthy pleb.
>>
Is there a website dedicated to free ebooks or something? I mean ebooks are cheaper but recent books are still 10+ dollars.
>>
>>8099015
bookzz.org comes to mind
>>
>>8099015
Gutenberg for public domain books, or most 'classics' although it's not very comprehensive in its translations

You'd also be surprised how easily lots of ebooks can be torrented
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.