[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any gift ideas in form of books for an awesome kid and her parents?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: jv.jpg (955 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
jv.jpg
955 KB, 1920x1080
Any gift ideas in form of books for an awesome kid and her parents? She's only twelve but she's making a translation of Pindar just for me, and she's made a habit of reading Boethius and Aurelius every night before bed. Both her parents are practically geniuses, top level scholars, they have a ton of Loeb books and let me borrow a bunch at a time as long as I want. I'd like to get them some special titles, but they're all super well read so I'm at a loss. Any suggestions for something very obscure but which they'd doubtlessly love?
>>
>>8095883
Lolita
>>
>>8095883
Selected Letters of James Joyce
>>
>>8095886
>>8095888
If you're going to joke, at least make the title obscure, otherwise there's nothing funny
>>
>>8095955
What? Obscurity has nothing to do with the humour here. It's only funny because there's something we recognize about the book suggested that makes it unsuitable for a 12yo girl.
>>
>>8095883
>She's only twelve but she's making a translation of Pindar just for me

is she wooing you (:
>>
>>8095883
I think some books from the /lit/ "depressing" list would suit her.
I read Stoner and few of John Steinbeck novels since I was 14 yo and loved them.
And since she started with the Greeks already, I think it's okay if you give her more complex books.
>>
>>8095972
Stop watching anime

>>8095990
Thanks
>>
>>8095883

Give her the dick. Give them all the dick.
>>
Fancy ink pen

Firearm, she'll need it with what's coming
>>
>>8095883
The Bell Jar
>>
>>8095883
or "ITT: Court life, the thread"

why don't you just write an intermission for them
>>
>>8095883
Behead All Satans by Master Necro Mega-Damage Rapeface
Yurope and Yurope 2 by Michael Saint Wood
Tao Lin On A Tricycle by Roberto Pinchas
>>
Post pics of her so we can make better recommendations
>>
>>8099772
Whatever you do, DON'T do this. It'll be katie all over again.
>>
>>8099690
>having to explain suicidal depression to an optimistic and vivacious 12 year old girl
>>
>>8099797
Optimism is a disease best squelched when young
>>
>>8095883
She sounds pretty advanced for her age, so how about one of those nice adult colouring books
>>
>>8099802
>read 6 year old daughter pic related
>she gets really into it, girl knight saving france
>so excited its a real story
>get to the part where she is dragged into dungeon and tortured and called a witch
>daughter still excited because always a happy ending in disney movies, right?
>tell her how she was burned at stake while executioner wept and then ashes swept into river
>goes quiet
>FINE DADA FINE. SHES DEAD. CAN I GO TO SLEEP NOW
>>
>no serious answers
This board isn't any better than /b/
>>
>>8099812
What exactly did you expect? No one here knows what an "obscure" book is, much less one that'd be appropriate for a 12 year old girl.

I dunno, give her The Blood Oranges by John Hawkes or some shit.
>>
>>8099811
jesus lol. what are her favorite books/stories? babysitting my little cousin for a whole week next month. she's 7 and a bit of a bookworm.
>>
>>8099825
Thanks

Actually, I'm looking for books for her whole family, I don't know if you read the entire OP
>>
>>8099834
She likes the new testament, arabian nights, call of the wild, and the d'auliares book of myths, as well as spacey non fiction stuff. she likes heroes and kings. She loved Bruce Coville's adaptations of Hamlet and Macbeth. She liked Black Ships Before Troy (illustrated)
>>
The Tale of Genji desu
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 188x204) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 188x204
>>8095883
get her a cooking book
>>
>>8099842
very patrician child.
>>
>>8099845
not a bad idea desu, esp like a vietnamese or levantine cookbook
>>
>>8099839
Saki short stories?
Culture-focused non-fiction book about some specific food she likes?
>for her whole family
How about the Popol Vuh, it's not super obscure but usually overlooked
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.