[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HP Lovecraft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: HP Lovecraft.jpg (137 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
HP Lovecraft.jpg
137 KB, 620x412
So, I've been interested in Lovecraft's work for a while now, I've read some of his work and all, but I'd like a full immersion/knowledge experience. This has probably already been asked, but I don't frequent /lit/ often:

To get the fullest experience of Lovecraft's work, is there an order in which I should read tales of the Cthulhu Mythos? If yes, I'd appreciate if someone would just put in order the titles I should read.

Also heard there's the dream world and stuff, in which I could take a look if there's somewhat something interesting overall?

And any honorable mention of course would be welcome that aren't particularly part of the Dream world and the Cthulhu Mythos!

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience!
>>
File: Slot_dunnwich_in_somewhr_too.png (333 KB, 846x773) Image search: [Google]
Slot_dunnwich_in_somewhr_too.png
333 KB, 846x773
>>8094523
>>
>>8094534
Oh neat, it gives me a direction where to go. Does it include everything about Cthulhu mythos like all the elder ones and shit? or it's just the general line?
>>
>>8094591
Probably, dunno desu
>>
>>8094523
If I may write a little on his 'dream cycle', most of which I have read.

Lovecraft's 'dream cycle' is comprised of stories which are set on a prehistoric earth or other planet. The individual stories have little continuity between eachother, and do not contain the gothic and cosmic horror of his 'mythos' cycle.

Some of his most interminable prose is to be found in these stories. Dream Quest of Unknown Khadath, in particular, would be the worst introduction to the author. However, there are several short stories within this cycle that I am fond of, and I recommend these to be read in no order; The Doom That Came To Sarnath, The Other Gods, Hypnos, and The Cats of Ulthar.

A good reading of Lovecraft would combine a sampling of his dream cycle, as well as his mythos cycle. Again, these do not have to be read in order. Lovecraft was certainly not trying to build a coherent world vision in the manner of Tolkein. I suggest Call Of Cthulhu, The Dunwich Horror, and The Colour Out of Space. If you like these, go onto his Mythos novellas, namely Mountains Of Madness.

The comprehensive reading of Lovecraft is arguably a 'bad' reading. It would require reading Lovecraft's fiction in order of publication which is problematic because he published stories which were only published so that he could sustain himself. He did not like Charles Dexter Ward or Dream Quest; they were practice pieces which were embyronic of later and more literary tales. You may read them, but I argue that much of Lovecraft's work can be disregarded.

This is why I suggest you purchase an edited paperback which select the best of his works. The first of the three Penguin volumes edited by ST Joshi is a superb selection.
>>
File: 9781435122963_p0_v2_s192x300.jpg (16 KB, 192x254) Image search: [Google]
9781435122963_p0_v2_s192x300.jpg
16 KB, 192x254
>>8094523
There is no specific order. All his stories can be read in any order with the exception of the "Randolph Carter" ones which would be The Silver Key, The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, and Through The Gates Of The Silver Key. Otherwise read as you will.

The ones to go for would be The Outsider, The Hound, From Beyond, The Festival, Pickman's Model. I think these are his best non-Mythos/Dream Cycle stories.

>>8094591
The infograph is very basic. Nyarlathotep is a mere page or so. Herbert West is the least Lovecraftian story.

>>8094619
>Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, in particular, would be the worst introduction to the author
Agreed. I am crazy about Lovecraft but I really struggle with this story.

I would recommend this book. It not only contains basically everything he did (excluding some poetry and co-written stuff) but each story has an intro explaining it and it is all presented in correct chronological order.
>>
>>8094523
Why does someone make a Lovecraft thread everyday? Seriously every single day there's a "Is Lovecraft good/should I read Lovecraft/what am in for?" Thread.

He's a decent writer who wrote a bunch of short horror stories with some racist elements, there you go that's literally all there is to say about him.
>>
>>8094885
Except that this is not a ''is lovecraft good'' its a ''in what order should i read the shit''
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.