[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
His his philosophy just "Everything Socrates said is right"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1165.jpg (4 MB, 2592x3888) Image search: [Google]
1165.jpg
4 MB, 2592x3888
His his philosophy just "Everything Socrates said is right"?
>>
Postin in ebin thread
>>
We don't know what Socrates said do wr?
>>
>>8094016
Socrates was the first cultural marxist who tried to subvert Western civilization with his nihilism
>>
>>8094045
That's because that pedo hated his own alphabet

>inb4 Pythagoras lover
>>
>>8094016
>>8094045
The only "evidence" of that a man named Socrates existing is from the writings of Plato, who said a man named Socrates taught him.

There's nothing written by Socrates, but just Plato writing what Socrates said.

Take that with what you will.
>>
>>8094048

>400 BC
>Using the philosophy of Karl Marx

I know you're just clowning on /pol/, but you triggered me anyway.
>>
>>8094078
>who is Phaedo
>>
>>8094082
then you must be extra autistic because it was quite clearly an epic josh
>>
>>8094078
>who is Aristophanes
>who is Xenophon
>who is this anon talking out his ass on a subject he knows nothing of
>>
Probably the standard scholarly version of things is that Socrates was more like a late sophist who emphasised dialectical logic, and Plato was the one concerned with all the other shit we typically associate with the Platonic dialogues (idealism, metaphysics, epistemology, immortality, mysticism, etc.).

I think Aristotle says pretty plainly elsewhere that Socrates was concerned mostly with ethics and dialectic. This is close to the Socrates depicted in what are considered the Early Platonic dialogues. Also, the letter of Plato that is most commonly considered authentic (the seventh epistle) is a pretty fairly exposiiton of the Plato-as-idealist-mystic view. He just lays it all out.

That said, a lot of the evidence mutually informs the other evidence. The dialogues are partly dated by the development of the ideas in them, but charting that specific chain of development partly presupposes the chronological layout that is.. allowed by presupposing the chain of development.
>>
>>8094111
Not really, this is something nietzscheans believe
>>
>>8094078

Socrates was a historical figure who many have written about.

The only person to give an in depth accounting of his works was plato.
>>
Which board does each greek represent?

Socrates - fit
Plato - pol
Aristotle - sci
Alexander - k
>>
>>8094229
>Socrates
>/fit/
lolno

>Plato
>/pol/
lolno.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.