[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the consensus on Jane Austen? I've never read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: love and friendship.jpg (129 KB, 506x749) Image search: [Google]
love and friendship.jpg
129 KB, 506x749
What's the consensus on Jane Austen? I've never read anything by her, but this new movie's getting great reviews.
>>
Someone should tell them they spelt the title wrong.
>>
I feel like she's one of those authors you read within the context of their own time. How can I put this... you read certain authors to get a good feel of what literature and the novel were like at a certain point in history. The quality of her writing is so-so, but if you find yourself liking other works from that time period, give it a go.
>>
File: 1464227437283.jpg (219 KB, 601x534) Image search: [Google]
1464227437283.jpg
219 KB, 601x534
>>8093760

>The quality of her writing is so-so
>>
I'm not into her. Too boring for my taste. I recommend you read some of her books yourself and form your own opinion. I can't tell what you like if this is all you write in your opening post OP.
>>
>>8093760
Holy fuck you're pig-ignorant.
>>
>>8093796
>pig-ignorant

Sounds like something my grandma would say.
>>
>>8093760
Posts like this are why I want to stop coming here
>>
>>8093827
So... why do you keep coming here?
>>
>>8093831
For the few bits of genuine insight and recs i can pick up
>>
>>8093617
Austen's books are melodramatic, but I mean that in a good way. And melodramatic in a demure way, which may sound like a paradox but isn't. Beyond the plot of the book itself, though, there isn't much there- she criticizes the British class system, the role of women, the role of money, parodies gothic novels, etc. but it's all pretty blatant and never explored with much depth. Sterne slightly before her and Stendhal slightly after, for instance, are doing much more interesting and impressive things with their books. Still, Austen's books are relatively easy to read and fun to read, so I like her.
>>
she's witty and fun
>>
>>8093617
Pride and Prejudice was an enjoyable read. Some great banter
>>
I very much enjoyed Sense and Sensibility. Haven't read any of her other works but if they're anything like S&S I can recommend them.
>>
>>8093617
Whit Stillman's a baller so its no surprise that the films great desu senpai
>>
File: pig.jpg (3 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
pig.jpg
3 MB, 3888x2592
>>8093796
Pigs are actually pretty intelligent animals actually. Smarter than your average dog.
>>
She was very smart, funny, and her sentences are works of art.
>>
>>8093760
>>8093773
>>8094329
>>8094337
>>8094344
All these women lovers

This isn't the /r9k/ I once knew
>>
Petty bourgeoisie trash.
>>
>>8094406
This isn't /r9k/ at all.
>>
>>8093796
>Pig-ignorant
>not pignorant

You had one job!
>>
>>8094329
This is a good opinion.
>>
Pride & Prejudice had some of the driest prose I've read outside of Hemingway. Stopped halfway through; didn't care about anyone in the story.

Twain was right -- it was a shame they allowed her to die a natural death.
>>
>>8093617
>Reading 19th century female masturbatory aids

You might as well be reading Twilight you fucking pussies.
>>
>>8094513
Austen was a master prose stylist, pleb.
>>
>>8094746
>a women
>master prose stylist

Good one, feminist cuck
>>
>>8094779
>girls are dumb xD
>le cuck meme

You've never read Austen, and you're also a fucking tard.
>>
Only read some of Persuasion, it was cold and felt like it was written by a machine. I didn't care for it.
>>
>>8094746

there are people who praise Hemingway's prose too. It's still ass.

sample of my taste: Tender is the Night-Fitzgerald is top-tier
>>
>>8094779
1. Read The Waves by Virginia Woolf
2. Kill yourself
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.