[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>people think it's impressive to speak multiple languages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: chinese-writing[1].jpg (36 KB, 390x221) Image search: [Google]
chinese-writing[1].jpg
36 KB, 390x221
>people think it's impressive to speak multiple languages with the same character set and 50% vocabulary overlap

Sorry but I don't even consider these people bilingual. Come back when you know an Asian language.
>>
>>8093464
I know Japanese, everyone assumes I'm a weeb.
>>
>>8093492
>>8093492
Degenerate cuck. Bet you fantasize about big veiny nigger dicks, Bernie scum
>>
>>8093492
If you can't read novels without a dictionary you don't "know" a language.
>>
>>8093464
>multiculturalist jew swine
no thanks, cuck. stop trying to sap and impurify my language with your muddy tongueslaps.
>>
>not learning arabic

absolutely haram
>>
>>8093473
>he doesn't speak latin
Absolute pleb tier trash tbqh
>>
>>8093526
>ITT people who have never read books in foreign languages

Even Japanese people use dictionaries for lit, monolingual-kun
>>
>>8093464

Fun fact: Part of the reason why the Chinese got fucked so hard by the Mongols was due to spending so much time on their calligraphy.

>2016
>Valuing anything over utility
>>
>people think it's impressive to speak with the same character set
Should I assume you consider it's impressive to learn a new character set?

>50% vocabulary overlap
Which languages have such large swathes of vocabulary in common? In addition to English, I'm fluent in French, Latin, German and Japanese, and have elementary knowledge of Greek and Chinese, and I never, ever seen or merely heard of such a case.
>>
>>8093634
>not speaking universal globalist inauthentic culture-subverting cuckolded degeneracy language

I'm okay with this
>>
I actually sat beside a guy today in Waterstones, who was learning and/or fluent in Esperanto. He was doing a bit of translating and general writing.

Take heart that you will never waste so much time on a useless language. Even its initial advocates (Tolkien/etc) turned against it in the end, on account of it having no soul.

Was still interesting to see, though; first time I've seen it in real life.
>>
File: Today.png (2 MB, 1080x1349) Image search: [Google]
Today.png
2 MB, 1080x1349
>>8093659
>>
>>8093752

>Mongolians: Successfully living how they've always lived, in harmony with the land
>Chinks: Basically 'American Mercenaries' (See: Mishima) who are destined to either die in slave labour or choke on smog
>>
>>8093464
A pyccкий язык?
>>
>>8093464
French is the closest language to English vocabulary wise and it only overlaps by like 25%
>>
>>8093757
>Mongolians: Still drinking spoiled yak milk
>China: A major world power and growing
>>
>>8093757
*pulls down pollution face mask* what *cough* the fuck *wheeze* did you just *asthma attack* *uses inhalator* say about my glorious china*pulls up face mask*?
>>
>>8093779

>growing
>>
>>8093791
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKgf6_Mn7V4
>>
>>8093795

Aw sweet, propaganda videos.
>>
>>8093752
I guarantee the Mongols in that picture have a higher quality of life than the Chinese in that city.
>>
>>8093788
>>8093812
>>8093818
>All these butthurt Mongolians
Get away from my shitty wall.
>>
>>8093639
To a certain extent, but if you're fluent in a language that shouldn't be a requirement. Have fun being a forever intermediate thinking he's "fluent" because he can talk to people.
>>
>>8093833
china belongs to the mongols, give back
>>
>>8093855
Which part of the anglosphere are you from?
>>
>>8093930
I can read Japanese fluently and I'm sick of retards who know a couple thousand kanji and basic grammar thinking they're """""fluent""""" even though they can't pick up a newspaper and read it like they can in English.
>>
>>8093940

I've been to Japan, and lived there for several periods of time over the past decade.

You'd be surprised how many Nips you see with a pocket Kanji dictionary/etc on the trains. As with any other language, a lot of natives are really half-assed when it comes to the knowledge of their own language; but it's more crippling with moonrune-type languages as characters are a lot harder to 'guess' than words.

Also, I'm doubting your fluency.
>>
>>8093722
this is my kinda guy right here
>>
>>8093964
>even japanese people can't read japanese meme
Fuck off.
>>
>>8093994

It's true.

I'd also argue that most native English speakers are by literary standards, pretty illiterate.

Now what?

I'm an equal opportunities trasher of idiots.
>>
>>8093464
dumb weeb
>>
>>8093778
I assume OP is talking about people who know e.g. multiple Romance languages.
>>
>>8093940
俺の魔羅はもう爆発寸前だぜ。
>>
>>8094010
I think you're underestimating how well people can read. I think you have this image of the average american as a middle school drop out redneck, but the average american is actually well-educated and can read novels or the news with ease. Same goes for Japanese. Point is you can't do that and you go around saying you're "fluent". Please fuck off.

?>8094033
thesaurus for obscure words to make you look smart while using incorrect grammar, nice try m8
>>
File: Laughing-Tom-Cruise-Gif-14.png (749 KB, 950x608) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Tom-Cruise-Gif-14.png
749 KB, 950x608
>>8094041
>average american is actually well-educated
>>
>>8093464
>Asian language.
>Only good to commerce with China (but unnecessary because everyone speaks English) or to read your anime trash

Wake me up when there at least 10 worthy authors that justify learning Asian languages.
>>
File: 1443157463033.png (52 KB, 253x245) Image search: [Google]
1443157463033.png
52 KB, 253x245
>>8094041
>the average american is actually well-educated
>>
>>8093464

>be someone who lives in a Latin country
>all latin languages are now easy to understand.

That is true.
>>
>>8094100

>what is asian religious texts

Objectively Master race desu. Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucionism, Jainism, all excelent texts.
>>
>>8094138
>excelent texts

more like meme tier hippy shit
>>
>>8094140

>meme tier hippy shit

Go back to reading the Bible desu.
>>
>>8094041
How can we be well educated when our bureaucratic teachers have to lower learning standards to account for the mental level of spics & spooks?
>>
test
>>
>>8094170
>>8094091
>>8094129
>the average american can't read harry potter
wew lads
>>
>>8094352
I would hope that nips would be a little more inventive with their language when writing moon literature than what is available in harry fucking potter
>>
>>8094367
Sure, but if you can't read Harry Potter in a language, I would not consider you fluent in that language. Do you disagree?
>>
>>8094352
Actually Americans are of the steadfast conviction that Harry Potter is the all powerful work of Satan and therefor are unable to read it lest they expose themselves to dark magic and literally go to hell after they are shot.
>>
>>8094384
>i dont know what average means
>>
>>8094372
But we're discussing language fluency by literary standards. If japs are held to the standard of their native literature then it's only fair that we should aim quite higher than children's books of our own language.
>>
>>8094394
I'm saying if you cannot read the Japanese translation for Harry Potter without a dictionary I would not consider you fluent in Japanese. That is all. Harry Potter is easier than "real" literature, but I think it marks a good goal post for literacy of a language.
>>
>>8094100
>L'Asia is l'Orient meme
>>
>>8093659
>Part of the reason why the Chinese got fucked so hard by the Mongols was due to spending so much time on their calligraphy.
no.. that doesn't even make sense. Are you remembering something about decadent Southern Song dynasty court focusing more on cultural development than military defense? That's nothing to do with the nature of the language.

The Chinese language actually helped Chinese influence to spread throughout East Asia because the characters are not directly linked to regional pronunciation. So written Chinese was the language of government in Vietnam, Korea, Japan, and in each area the locals could pronounce the texts in their own way.

The same goes for how Chinese language helped to unify what is today the land of China.
>>
your a dorable
>>
>>8094645
lmao nice spelling idiot
>>
File: 1456038876445.jpg (44 KB, 382x290) Image search: [Google]
1456038876445.jpg
44 KB, 382x290
>>8093757
>>8093788

I love you guys
>>
>>8095358
dont post pics of gross ppl ty
>>
>>8093964
I've lived in Japan for almost five years and I think I may have seen a Japanese with a pocket dictionary 10~20 times, at best. Even if the “average Japanese”—still an ex nihilo assertion—doesn't know enough ideograms to read a classic, I would assume a person who bought and took a book in the train is therefore able to read it.
>>
>>8093464
>ascribing value to devoting thousands and thousands of hours of one's life to memorizing logograms.
>>
>>8095822
All I said was that it was impressive. Also the characters aren't even that hard. Maybe like 200 hours total.
>>
>>8095827
Speaking Chinese or Japanese isn't impressive. Learning the characters is.
>>
>>8095959
iirc the meaning in chinese depends on the tonal pronunciation of its vowels so i dare say speaking it is quite hard
>>
>>8095977
Tonal languages are harder to get into but not much to master. It's significantly harder to learn to read Chinese or Japanese than to pronounce it. Moreover, the tonal incidence is much overrated and in the end, communication heavily relies on context. You can butcher a word out of ten and still be perfectly understood.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.