[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books about post WWI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1445475077660.jpg (68 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1445475077660.jpg
68 KB, 720x540
Looking for fictional or biographical books about WWI veterans struggling to adjust to civilian lives in the post-war period. Preferably veterans from the losing side.

Already read The Outlaws by von Salomon (not a WWI vet but lived in the period and was a solider).
>>
>>8092469
holy fuck triggered
>>
Graves' Good-Bye To All That is partially about your question.

Borchert's The Man Outside is all about a returning veteran and how he can't adjust, but of WW2.

Brittain's Testament of Youth is a bit more of the female perspective of a WW1 nurse and what she struggled with after the war.
>>
>>8092469
whose grave is that?
>>
>>8092541
Erected to honor and naming everyone from a village that had fallen in one of the world wars.
>>
>>8092469
Joseph Roth's "The Spider's Web" might interest you, the protagonist is like you described, though it takes a different turn than most books about veterans post-war.

>>8092540
Also strongly seconding The Man Outside if you're not dead-set on WWI.
>>
The Road Back by Remarque. It's exactly what you are looking for.
>>
>>8092748
Funny you should suggest Roth, I was planning on reading Radetzky March as my next book.
>>
Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.

It's exactly what you're not looking for.
>>
>>8092774
Read it already and enjoyed it.
>>
>>8092469
a land fit for heroes
when the boat comes in
>>
>>8092469
The Great Gatsby
>>
>>8093373
>a land fit for heroes
No fantasy please.

>>8094990
Read it.
>>
>>8096299
not that one you idiot
look further down the results
a land fit for heroes was a phrase politicians used to describe post ww1 britain
>>
>>8092469
Obviously Remarque.
>>
For Esme with love and squalor by salinger
>>
Journey to the End of the Night
The Razor's Edge
Hemingway had a few short stories, Soldier's Home, Big Two-Hearted River (though the war isn't actually mentioned, muh iceberg), Now I Lay Me, In Another Country, A Way You'll Never Be)
Technically, you could include The Sun Also Rise and A Farewell to Arms as well.
>>
File: mein-kampf.jpg (8 KB, 160x248) Image search: [Google]
mein-kampf.jpg
8 KB, 160x248
>>8092469
>books about WWI veterans struggling to adjust to civilian lives in the post-war period. Preferably veterans from the losing side.

just the thing
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.