[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/recent reads/ general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Crimeandpunishmentcover.png (435 KB, 417x640) Image search: [Google]
Crimeandpunishmentcover.png
435 KB, 417x640
Lets give this a go, we could really do with more close reading on /lit/. Write a paragraph discussing in any fashion you like about the last chapter/sit down with book you're reading, fiction or non-fiction and your take of it.
Hopefully we can get a more active thread going instead of a bunch of short lived threads of similar close readings.

I've just read Part Two Chapter IV of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, I'm starting to believe the character of Raskolnikov killed the old woman as a way really of making sense in the world of his own experience of self pity and paranoia, it seems to me that the only difference in his psyche through the transition between the murder and how he was before is only that before he had nothing to point towards to explain his alienation, self loathing and suspicion of everyone else. Its a sort of reconciliation between his estrangement from humanity he felt in his childhood dream observing them beating the horse to death, in a derranged fashion he's found a way to feel he is associated to his fellow man again.
>>
>>8090707
Does anyone find it weird that both Raskolnikov's and Nietzsche's fathers died at an early age, and Nietzsche famously went mad while seeing a man beat a horse the same as Raskolnikov's dream of the beaten horse? that they both have very much the same temperaments, ideas, and the proneness to sickliness and madness? that Dostoyevsky's works seem to have been preemptive, premonitive admonitions against Nietzsche's way of thought, against some way of thought he saw shaping up in the modern world ...
>>
>>8090745
>at an early age
(as in, when their sons themselves were young)
>>
Good observation OP

Cart leading the horse, in a way. Trying to rationalize one's feelings of alienation and coming up dry; committing a forbidden act in order to reconcile the feelings w/ reality.
>>
>>8090745
I had a similar thought myself, its funny in a way though Raskolnikov and for that matter the Underground Man are far more so representative of Nietzsche's the Last Man, which arguably Nietzche could be seen as himself
>>
>>8090745
How is running up to a horse being beaten and yelling I understand you the sign of a mad man. He sounds compassionate.
>>
>>8090707
He1l H1tler
>>
>>8090802
He's speaking about the fact that it triggered Nietzsche's descent into madness, not that the act itself is mad
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.