[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm currently reading this. What did you think of it? Did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
I'm currently reading this. What did you think of it? Did you like it? Do you prefer modern literature or something older?

There's this little dilemma for me. I've learned English as second language and Dracula is really difficult to read. There are tons of old words (I'm pretty sure there must be noun for words that are no longer used because new words have replaced those old words), thus I sometimes find it hard to understand some sentenced. And I don't know which words should I remember to use in my daily vocabulary.
>>
>>8090321

I love the journal/diaryentry format. Any spooky supernatural story should be written like that.

Actually better than Lovecrafts first hand account rehash because you know that author survives to the end. But the journal entries could have been collected at a later date, and so you don't know who can die and live.
>>
>>8090321
>there must be noun for words that are no longer used because new words have replaced those old words
archaism
>>
>>8090321

A lot of archaic words are used, yes. But you don't need to use them in daily use. It would make you sound pretentious.
>>
>>8090321
I couldn't read it all. Perhaps I was a little busy at the time so I gave up quickly, but the whole part of repeated transfusions didn't seem to add anything to the book other then a bunch of pages. Then again, it could have been the wrong time for me to pick it up
>>
>>8092594
I read it as well and felt this too. The repeated transfusions bogged down the novel for me but they did add to the sexual undertones. I think they could have been refined. The best bit is the start because of the spooky nature of the castle and the diary entries. It is worth finishing if you get the chance.
>>
First 50 pages are great but it is then 300 pages of nothing except a slither of immigration metaphors
>>
>>8092712
This. He puts the best part of the novel at the very beginning. If you just read Jonathon Harker's experience at the castle by itself it makes for a great short story.
>>
Renfield or whatever was his name was the most interesting part
>>
>>8093386
What was even the point of that character? Crazy, wanted to eat mad pussy but settled for flies, spiders, and birds, then dies.
>>
>>8093386
OP agrees with this. I'm about 70% in (Kindle edition lol), and it's really interesting that Renfield seems somehow related to Count Dracula.

About transfusions. I agree, I got bored at that point, but it kinda introduced more characters and explained how hopeless was the situation when someone's been bitten by a vampire.
>>
The way Van Helsing talks is hilarious.
>>
Loved it.
From start to finish.
Excellent book.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.