[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you feel influenced by yours parents? I noticed that sometimes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: cwc room.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cwc room.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
Do you feel influenced by yours parents? I noticed that sometimes my mom says something and I take that without salt. I first thought this was bad but now I feel OK with this. Maybe I'm a good sheeple.
>>
>>8090010
My dad is an undereducated blue-collar pastor and my mom was born and raised in the Philippine jungle, so no.
>>
my mom is as mediocre as it gets, so she is definitely not.
i respect my dad, but i am not influenced by him either. perhaps in childhood, him having read a lot of books might have encouraged me to do the same, but i believe there are many other reasons to that.
>>
I'm inversely influenced by my parents. I don't want to become like them
>>
>>8090010
Maybe you're just lagging behind with your emotional development
>>
>>8090086
What to read?
>>
>>8090515
>asks what to read in order to stop having to be told what to do
lad
>>
>>8090010
I still think everything my dad says and does is right while the things my mom says and does are wrong.
I am usually not mistaken.

regarding literature, none of them influenced me, my mom reads religious stuff, my dad reads reader's digest tier novels and short stories. but at least they read.
still, it's basically the opposite of what I read.
>>
>>8090010
I wouldn't listen to my mom's opinions if I had a gun pointed to my head, but I would listen to my dad's since he is as smart, if not smarter, than I am. He never went to college but has an above-genius IQ while my mom is basically a living sheep who only believes what she has already determined to be true.
>>
>>8090010
My mom's mental diet consists of the Kardashians and people magazine. So no.
My father is a borderline psychotic Alcoholic currently drinking himself to death with deep psychological scars from growing up in one of the most violent neighborhoods in the U.S. during the sixties. So in a word no.
>>
>>8090010
Not to a significant degree.

They don't read anything and don't have any desire to. They don't like learning and never got past high school. Meanwhile, I'm hoping to stay in academia for as long as I can.

It's more like >>8090053. I don't want to end up middle aged and still not knowing what I want to do with my life. I don't want to raise a dozen kids that nearly all turn out to be drug addicts or stuck in prison most of the time.

They don't really give me advice or much to influence me by anymore, anyway. Usually when I call I just get to hear their current woes. It almost makes me feel shitty to tell them any good news I have.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.