[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't read this book because English is not my first language.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Infinite_jest_cover.jpg (28 KB, 300x464) Image search: [Google]
Infinite_jest_cover.jpg
28 KB, 300x464
I can't read this book because English is not my first language.
>>
oo
>>
ight
>>
kk
>>
People who cant speak english - foreginers, babies - are blessed because they cant be memed
>>
>living in a 3rd world country
having freedom feels great, btw
>>
isn't my first language either. still read it. no reason not to read it asshole
>>
>>8089488
haha k dawg cool cool

what u eating for breakfast rn
me personally some eggs
>>
>>8089559
>foreginers
>>
English is my third language and I was able to read the meme trilogy, just take your time
>>
There are twelve steps to curing the IJ meme.
First, you need some other meme-y books to talk about. Anything will do. the Tunnel, even, if you are desperate.
Second, you need to delegate an hour or so in your day to praying. You can pray to Talent, or Merit, or Good Prose, anything. Only then you'll start to get rid of the urges to read(or reread) IJ.
Third, get rid of bad company. IJ s the easiest thing in the world to talk about. The abundance of shallow themes makes it a perfect conversation topic, and you'll spiral to it if you are with other ex-readers. Talking about disabled? Suddenly, the topic switches to Wheelchair Assassins. Block the bad influence.
Fourth, get a mentor that will lead you to the path of good literature and prevent you from slipping. Avoid namefags, I recommend IRL friends.
Fifth, destroy any copies of Wallace works in your household. Temptation is a fickle thing and can take over any time.
Sixth, attend group meetings of those who used to abuse IJ. Public scorn will make it hard to turn back to old habits.
Seventh, eighth, and ninth: get a job or other stable income, graduate, and get a GF/BF. This will make it impossible to sympathise with characters in the book, and erase the delusion of "oh, Dave soooo gets me".
Tenth, use filters on lit, or quit it altogether. Fighting against IJ is the same as enjoying it - both are unhealthy and lead to the same results.
Eleventh, stop seeing it as a status symbol - understand the fact that having read it makes you a degenerate, not a patrician.
Finally, twelveth: try writing a novel that mimicks IJ and understand how easy and obvious the process is, and there is no inherent worth to it. Then burn the results.
>>
>>8089559
I was memed in italian.

And I loved every second.
>>
>>8089488
What's your first language?
>>
>>8089712
I'm just going to finish it and never talk about it again. If someone else falls into it's trap, their problem, not mine.
>>
File: 26-dfw-2.nocrop.w529.h746.jpg (167 KB, 529x705) Image search: [Google]
26-dfw-2.nocrop.w529.h746.jpg
167 KB, 529x705
Why is this book so rereadable? I'm reading it for the fifth time since 1999 and I don't even like it that much
>>
>>8091306
>since 1999
How old are you?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.