[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What´s a good book to get started with Meditation/Yoga/Buddhism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: vineyards_austria.jpg (539 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vineyards_austria.jpg
539 KB, 1920x1080
What´s a good book to get started with Meditation/Yoga/Buddhism? Went so a book store some days ago and it´s hard to tell what´s actually good.
>>
The Dahmapada (I don't really know how to spell it)
>>
>>8089441

what the buddha taught by walpola rahula
>>
>>8089441
yoga sutra of pantanjali, and "passage meditation" from eknath easwaran
>>
>>8089441
also, shobogenzo for the more japanese style
>>
>>8089535
dhammapada

dhamma like dharma
>>
>>8089441
crowley's eight lectures on yoga

yes I'm serious

first couple paragraphs:

It is my will to explain the subject of Yoga in clear language, without resort to jargon or the enunciation of fantastic hypotheses, in order that this great science may be thoroughly understood as of universal importance.

For, like all great things, it is simple; but, like all great things, it is masked by confused thinking; and, only too often, brought into contempt by the machinations of knavery.

(1) There is more nonsense talked and written about Yoga than about anything else in the world. Most of this nonsense, which is fostered by charlatans, is based upon the idea that there is something mysterious and Oriental about it. There isn't. Do not look to me for obelisks and odalisques, Rahat Loucoum, bul-buls, or any other tinsel imagery of the Yoga-mongers. I am neat but not gaudy. There is nothing mysterious or Oriental about anything, as everybody knows who has spent a little time intelligently in the continents of Asia and Africa. I propose to invoke the most remote and elusive of all Gods to throw clear light upon the subject-the light of common sense.

(2) All phenomena of which we are aware take place in our own minds, and therefore the only thing we have to look at is the mind; which is a more constant quantity over all the species of humanity than is generally supposed. What appear to be radical differences, irreconcilable by argument, are usually found to be due to the obstinacy of habit produced by generations of systematic sectarian training.

(3) We must then begin the study of Yoga by looking at the meaning of the word. It means Union, from the same Sanskrit root as the Greek word Zeugma, the Latin word Jugum, and the English word yoke. (Yeug-to join.)
>>
>>8089441
Just download Andy Pudicombs Headspace from a torrent site, meditation is a skill that is best learned from a teacher, save the books for when you already have a regular practice going
>>
Is there a way I can get into yoga without a teacher? I want to be able to do the poses correctly without straining myself
>>
>>8091335
What if I don't have a teacher? Just sit?
>>
>>8089441
Mindfulness in Plain English for meditation.

I remember someone posted a pdf of an anthology of Buddhist texts, unfortunately I lost it before I managed to start reading...
>>
>>8091327
interested in this i serched crowleys eight lectures and found the pdf
http://deoxy.org/annex/Eight_Lectures_on_Yoga.pdf
could i trouble you to confim it as being the complete of what you have read? as id be very interested in this, thanks
>>
>>8091455
Well that's why I'm recommending Headspace, it's a series of audio directions I found useful myself
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.