[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
where to startwith nietzsche?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1464323265668.jpg (88 KB, 564x564) Image search: [Google]
1464323265668.jpg
88 KB, 564x564
where to startwith nietzsche?
>>
his major collected works in a single volume, start from page 1, flip through the aphorisms, most importantly read Zarathusta.
>>
the portable neitzsche
>>
Also sprach Zarathustra
>>
skip Neitszche read Keirkegaard

buy some earl grey and a bull terrier

join peshmurga and read platonov
>>
Book picture with Kaufman translation, but buy Good & Evil and read that instead when you get there

Geneaology and Human all too Human are also full text must-reads, but the portable orders his work in a solid way
>>
>>8088739
kekers goes before Neitszche it's not that you skip it
>>
File: image.jpg (5 KB, 160x189) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5 KB, 160x189
>>8088698
you dont
>>
>>8088698
1. On the Genealogy of Morals
2. Birth of Tragedy

You're done m8. Go Zarathustra if you like him
>>
>>8088843
You don't have to read Kierkegaard before Nietzsche. Nietzsche never read him, he's not an influence. But they are parallel lines of thought.
>>
>>8088698
Read the aphorisms. N was an unbelievable master of the pithy, bite sized nugget of wisdom. On the other hand he tends to get pedantic when writing long form.

Der Wille Zur Macht (the Will to Power) is probably his best collection and also creepiest and edgiest, followed by Beyond Good and Evil. The former was going to be the culmination of his life's work and he never finished it, but it still resonates with an arcane power.
>>
I have Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil, Twilight of the Idols and Ecce Homo sitting on my bookshelf, but I get the feeling none of them are a good place to start.

Should I read Birth of Tragedy first?
>>
>>8088870
Yes.

Not really understanding the guy who says to start with On the Genealogy, that's one of his last works if I'm not mistaken?

I started with Birth and read an even earlier work about the Pre-Socratics (I think his first published piece) which helped some but Birth made him so much easier to understand, even if he contradicts it so much later on.
>>
>>8088909
thanks anon
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.