[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Stephen King?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
What do you think of Stephen King?
>>
>>8087696
Cool guy; bad author.
>>
An intelligent and dedicated man who used his efforts in an overtly self serving fashion and helped start a really bad trend in literature, of which he is still the figurehead.
>>
>>8087696
i don't think about him at all.
>>
He makes popcorn, popcorn good enough to become part of pop culture while avoiding fading into irrelevancy like other popcorn makers such as Dan Brown

when he is bad, hes unreadable, but he has his gold nuggets, I really enjoyed The Gunslinger, and On Writing has pretty solid advice you should follow even if you dont like him

fite me maggots
>>
The Long Walk is a fantastic read
>>
Got me into reading when I was young tbqhwy familammajamma.
>>
How does a man put so much ink to a page to tell such simple stories?
>>
>>8088218
His only novella I like better is The Running Man.

>>8088234
Yeah, my uncle bought me The Shining when I was 8, got me pretty hooked. I have about twenty of his books on my shelf.

>>8088235
An even better question is, how does he keep you reading so easily? I can get through a thousand pages of King quicker and easier than five hundred of Herbert, Uris, or Eco. King and Crichton really have the pulp down.
>>
The Dead Zone is one of the most unexpectedly emotional books I've ever read.
>>
File: hegel.jpg (45 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
hegel.jpg
45 KB, 300x400
>Kids, fiction is the truth inside the lie, and the truth of this fiction is simple enough; the magic exists

Is Stephen King a Hegelian?
>>
>>8088235
>>8088256
He doesn't. It's so fucking boring to read a guy take two pages to say what could be said in a half. He fills his books with shit. He can't stop himself. Does he even edit? I doubt it. The only book of his I ever managed to get through was The Talisman.
>>
Greatest American novelist of the 20th century
>>
>>8087696
He's a terrible writer but he's pretty good at making hooks.
>>
Don't like very much from him. The Bachman books are decent and IT was really good. Haven't gotten to The Stand, but I plan to.
>>
>>8089541
The first half of the Stand is amazing.

Dude really imagined how a virus could wipe out most humans and what would happen to civilization. The rest of the book is crap and the ending is fucking awful: the hand of god. REALLY!!! 1,200 pages and the fucking HAND OF GOD comes down!!!! Fuck you!.

But the first half is amazing.
>>
>>8089558

Im still mad at The Stand for not having jojo Stands
>>
>>8089072
Whew, you read The Library Policeman, didn't you? Sorry he reminded you of things you'd rather forget.
>>
>>8087696
Better writer than anybody on this board
>>
Summerfags have arrived
>>
>>8089641
Thats not saying much, senpai
>>
File: 1402914808541.png (140 KB, 550x511) Image search: [Google]
1402914808541.png
140 KB, 550x511
>>8089762
>>
>>8087711
>>
>>8089641
Uh, ok?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.