[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you fucks like this book so much, why do you all so accurately
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: therecognitions.jpg (225 KB, 800x1238) Image search: [Google]
therecognitions.jpg
225 KB, 800x1238
If you fucks like this book so much, why do you all so accurately embody the attention-seeking, identity-relishing art "appreciators," seeking not the recogition of being "freed into reality that we never see" but the public image associated with it; attempting not to "convince yourself of your existence" through art, but through the superficial reality and external judgment associated with art? Gaddis is rolling in his grave, my lads.
>>
boi ur excited.
>>
Because the only solutions the book offers are suicide and living it through. If you see any actual remedy to the situation I'd like to hear it. On a certain level the book should be read as an inoculation against all the masturbation and elitism, but short of finding a monastery what can be done?

On the other hand most people on this board haven't read this book. Gaddis-posting happened gradually over the last two years. I doubt that Gaddists are the same people that do all the rest of this board's posturing bullshit, because the irony can't be lost on them. Rather I think all the people who don't read The Recognitions and mock it for being difficult are the same ones who have gone way too deep into the culture-hole.
>>
>>8087493
Pretty much this. Even if someone got into it for posturing reasons, they wouldn't have to read more than a fifth of it to see it parodying them. It keeps going in and out of print because it's plebproof.
>>
i like jr more
>>
>>8087765
You're just saying that because it's out of print.
>>
>>8087493
I'm reading it now, got about three hundred pages to go. I have started using Chaveney to spot plebs.
>>
you guys think way too much about this shit

read books, feel joy
>>
Since this is a Gaddis thread, how is JR? Just got it, planning on starting it next week sometime.
>>
>>8087893
Overpriced.
>>
>>8087927
LOL, didn't pay nearly that much.
>>
>>8087940
How much did you pay and where did you get it? A thrift store or something?
>>
>>8087946
4. Great condition at a used book store. The 75 Knopf
>>
>>8087493
the answer isn't either/or. i mean is it that difficult to come to your own conclusion on how to not be an elitist full of self-posturing? why would one need a monastery to not be a self-conscious dick? sure /lit/ is 99% that, though what 4chan tends to forget is that the vast majority of the world is not like this echo chamber of bitterness.

and i agree most have probably not read the book, but that doesn't mean the comparison can't be made.

>attention-seeking
>identity-relishing art "appreciators,"
>seeking not to be freed into reality that we never see but the public image associated with it
>attempting not to "convince yourself of your existence" through art, but through the superficial reality and external judgment associated with art

that applies to the vast majority of posts around here
>>
>>8087946

If you get the dalkey archives print, it shouldn't be more than $20. Much better cover too.
>>
>>8087958
That's a shot in the dark though. I don't know if I want to go out hunting for it that way.
>>
>>8087861
>>8087493

>I doubt that Gaddists are the same people that do all the rest of this board's posturing bullshit, because the irony can't be lost on them.

>I'm reading it now, got about three hundred pages to go. I have started using Chaveney to spot plebs.

apparently the irony is not lost on them at all my fellow anon
>>
>>8087986
That one's going for the same price as those now too, I checked. The cheapest one now is from the 70s, but even that's going for 35 bucks or so minimum online for a used copy.
>>
>>8088002

Where'd you check? I got mine from b&n's website, though this was a year ago.
>>
>>8087493

>I doubt that Gaddists are the same people that do all the rest of this board's posturing bullshit, because the irony can't be lost on them.

Yeah this. Plus I think the age thing ties in. The older posters who've read this work a while back only ever lurk and bant a little bit now anyway. They've grown out of the flexing bullshit. This board is rife with Gaddist parodies and they can spot them a mile away.

But it's no big deal in the end. Posturing is the lot of the younger poster. They'll get over it with time. Hopefully..
>>
>>8088062
Everywhere, man. I know they had it last year. It only went out of print fairly recently.
>>
>>8087946
Others not me. I paid $20 for a 1975 print in fantastic condition at a local used bookstore. Although I will concede that I did call many bookstores to try to find one that had it (any edition) used. I got really lucky, desu senpai.
>>
>>8088097
I figured as much.
>>
>>8087457
i just stir the pot to encourage the eventual intelligent reply

now i want to read gaddis and quit the internet
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.