[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /lit/. Casual reader here. Just finished reading pic related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: 718o1eBXibL.jpg (206 KB, 796x1257) Image search: [Google]
718o1eBXibL.jpg
206 KB, 796x1257
Hey, /lit/. Casual reader here.

Just finished reading pic related. Do you guys have any suggestions for similar works?
>>
Both sequels. My Ishmael and The Story of B.

Just stay skeptical as you read. A lot of Ishmael's arguments are deeply rooted in Malthusian theories about overpopulation, which have been largely disproven.
>>
>>8088194
>Malthus
>largely disproven
Certainly we have delayed the onset of a Malthusian catastrophe through the adoption of increasingly energy-intensive agricultural methods (Fritz-Haber process, etc). It remains to be seen whether we can continue to delay it indefinitely, especially in the face of climate destabilization.
>>
File: rustling-them-softly.jpg (31 KB, 382x700) Image search: [Google]
rustling-them-softly.jpg
31 KB, 382x700
>>8086947
Finish the Ishmael trilogy: The Story of B and My Ishmael. You can read them in either order.

You may also like Barbara Kingsolver. In particular:
>The Poisonwood Bible
>Prodigal Summer
>Flight Behavior
>>
File: 619AMTG45KL.jpg (67 KB, 310x500) Image search: [Google]
619AMTG45KL.jpg
67 KB, 310x500
>>
>>8088194
>Malthusian theories about overpopulation, which have been largely disproven

Bullshit. Have you looked around lately? The earth is a sphere of finite radius, hence of finite energy. There's no negotiating with physics.
>>
>>8088793
>>8089109
population growth normalizing in most first world countries (see UN Medium and low population growth predictions), the possibility of space colonization, a revolution in genomics, slow increase of yield in plants etc. pp.

inb4 random /pol/ garbage spouting from uninformed Burgerpeople
>>
>>8086947
such a piece of shit, I was massively triggered by the is-ought retardation.
>>
>>8089130
>the possibility of space colonization
wow, you sound like a reasonable and lucid partner for a discussion ;^)
>>
>>8089271
Not that anon, but a malthusian population collapse is just as tinfoil-y, especially since its pretty clear that once a society hits a level of plenty and modernity and education its population growth flatlines.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.