[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"For this invention will produce forgetfulness in the minds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Portrait-Herm-of-Socrates-008.jpg (30 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Portrait-Herm-of-Socrates-008.jpg
30 KB, 460x276
"For this invention will produce forgetfulness in the minds of those who learn to use it, because they will not practice their memory. Their trust in writing, produced by external characters which are no part of themselves, will discourage the use of their own memory within them. You have invented an elixir not of memory, but of reminding; and you offer your pupils the appearance of wisdom, not true wisdom, for they will read many things without instruction and will therefore seem to know many things, when they are for the most part ignorant and hard to get along with, since they are not wise, but only appear wise."

>Not memorizing entirety of Homer
>Not engaging in Dialectic
>Not contemplating the forms
>Not refuting doxa

Its time to accept that books killed philosophy.
>>
>Not fucking Alcibiades
>>
The only reason you know this is because Plato wrote down.
>>
>>8086896
Fuck off Derrida.
>>
File: 1463804058462.gif (986 KB, 200x353) Image search: [Google]
1463804058462.gif
986 KB, 200x353
>>8086871
Without writing, there would be no shitposting.
Fuck Socrates
>>
>>8087033
The only reason I know this ass is because someone filmed it. But I will never *know* this ass.
>>
>>8087033
Socrates is great. Imagine some drunk guy talking to you at a party, and he's saying shit so smart it will be remembered for the rest of mankind's existence.
>>
Would Socrates laugh at a fart? I feel like if he would then Plato wouldn't.
>>
>>8087051
that also was a gay party
>>
>>8087067
but everyone was super buff so it was more like fighting just with dicks
>>
>>8087044
But you will know these dubs
Check em
>>
>>8086871
So he is talking about the computer? everyone with an internet access seems like fucking experts as they can just google whatever
>>
book 4 part 1?

of republic
>>
>>8088753
Phaedrus.
>>
>>8086871
>Smartphones...

>>8089735
Why were the pupils that actually wrote down what Socrates taught such cunts?
>>
>>8089786
I don't understand.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.