[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>get to page 60 >this happens Now men, I have rubbed up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
>get to page 60
>this happens

Now men, I have rubbed up against a few men in mytime, but women? Oh well, I may as well confess it now, yes, I once rubbed up against one. I don’t mean my mother, I did more than rub up against her.And if you don’t mind we’ll leave my mother out of all this. But another who might have been my mother, and even I think my grandmother, if chance hadnot willed otherwise. Listen to him now talking about chance. It was she made me acquainted with love. She went by the peaceful name of Ruth I think, butI can’t say for certain. Perhaps the name was Edith. She had a hole between her legs, oh not the bunghole I had always imagined, but a slit, and in this Iput, or rather she put, my so-called virile member, not without difficulty, and I toiled and moiled until I discharged or gave up trying or was begged by her tostop. A mug’s game in my opinion and tiring on top of that, in the long run. But I lent myself to it with a good enough grace, knowing it was love, for she hadtold me so. She bent over the couch, because of her rheumatism, and in I went from behind. It was the only position she could bear, because of herlumbago. It seemed all right to me for I had seen dogs, and I was astonished when she confided that you could go about it differently. I wonder what shemeant exactly. Perhaps after all she put me in her rectum. A matter of complete indifference to me, I needn’t tell you. But is it true love, in the rectum?That’s what bothers me sometimes. Have I never known true love, after all? She too was an eminently flat woman and she moved with short stiff steps,leaning on an ebony stick. Perhaps she too was a man, yet another of them. But in that case surely our testicles would have collided, while we writhed.Perhaps she held hers tight in her hand, on purpose to avoid it. She favoured voluminous tempestuous shifts and petticoats and other undergarmentswhose names I forget. They welled up all frothing and swishing and then, congress achieved, broke over us in slow cascades. And all I could see was hertaut yellow nape which every now and then I set my teeth in, forgetting I had none, such is the power of instinct. We met in a rubbish dump, unlike anyother, and yet they are all alike, rubbish dumps. I don’t know what she was doing there. I was limply poking about in the garbage saying probably, for atthat age I must still have been capable of general ideas, This is life. She had no time to lose, I had nothing to lose, I would have made love with a goat, toknow what love was She had a dainty flat, no, not dainty, it made you want to lie down in a corner and never get up again. I liked it. It was full of daintyfurniture, under our desperate strokes the couch moved forward on its castors, the whole place fell about our ears, it was pandemonium. Our commercewas not without tenderness, with trembling hands she cut my toe-nails and I rubbed her rump with winter cream.

He goes on like this. Safe to say I got meme'd?
>>
>OLD PEOPLE SEX EYE BLEACH NUH
Oh get off it
>>
File: 20160526_154146.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160526_154146.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>8086578

I was laughing when I read it. I don't actually think I got meme'd and I'm enjoying this book quite a bit tbqhwy.

It just seems like Beckett's laughing from his grave for getting the Nobel Prize and comparisons to Proust for something so outrageously scatalogical.
>>
File: MTE1ODA0OTcxNjgwMTcxNTMz.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE1ODA0OTcxNjgwMTcxNTMz.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>>8086752
How could he not be scatological, he learned from the best.
>>
>>8086768

totally giving Joyce a whirl after finishing this, anyone have a guide to start with or is it okay to just dive into Ulysses?
>>
>>8086775
Just read all of it. Dubliners and Portrait shouldn't take long. If you're not excited after reading Dubliners, don't worry, it gets better.
>>
>>8086775
Chronological order. Dubliners non-essential but it's so short you might as well bump it off first
>>
>>8086561
Pretty great read desu
>>
>>8086775
You really should have read Joyce before Beckett
>>
>>8086924

Ah well, I'm enjoying it nonetheless. Though I agree I probably would have gleaned substantially more had I done as you suggest. I think he deserves more attention on this board.
>>
>>8087037
When you're done with Joyce read Flann O'Brien. not as important as Joyce but still one of the great Irish authors of the 20th century
>>
>>8086561
That's right where I stopped reading. Dreadful stuff that
>>
>>8086561
I read 4 pages of ulysses and put it down. I swear to god it's some kind of pseudointellectual memelords' inside joke passed on for a century in the spirit of being a colossal dick to people who enjoy literature.
>>
>>8087415
Why do people out themselves like this? Why announce to people how insecure you are? Just sink in my man.
>>
>>8087440
I just think it's dull mindless drivel, stream of consciousness is pointless. Endlessly pontificating on boring subject after boring subject? It makes no sense to me, that's all. Call me a plebian all you want, you can't make me read it.
>>
Breezed through the rest of part 1 and started part 2. Reading from Jacques Moran perspective. The sentences are much more terse and concrete. It's an effortless change of style and truly demonstrates Beckett's capability as a novelist.

He is the prototypical Irish father; funny and clever whilst somehow remaining stoic. Quite like my own father. This book is not at all a chore to read.
>>
>>8087415
But it's enjoyable to read, some boring chapters aside
>>
File: 1463030872420.jpg (10 KB, 252x244) Image search: [Google]
1463030872420.jpg
10 KB, 252x244
>>8086561
I hate that book. If you want stream of consciousness with nasty sex read Henry Miller instead.
>>
>>8088773

I'll take you up on your suggestion, but I'm really liking Molloy tbqhwy.
>>
>>8086886
The Dead at least is absolutely essentail
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.