[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you creative and playful with your brain ?!?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: Brain.jpg (64 KB, 456x632) Image search: [Google]
Brain.jpg
64 KB, 456x632
Are you creative and playful with your brain ?!?
>>
>>8086206
YeA we have sex every night
>>
File: Creatively Playful.jpg (61 KB, 791x347) Image search: [Google]
Creatively Playful.jpg
61 KB, 791x347
Stories (and even individual parts of stories) have a resonant, alchemical relationship with the way
we experience life
>>
>there are people that still believe in the right left hemisphere dichotomy
>>
>>8086225
Well, it's not as straightforward as right=creative, left=logical, but both sides serve different functions.
>>
File: Michael Gazzaniga my niga.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Michael Gazzaniga my niga.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>8086225

Your Storytelling Brain

Cognitive Neuroscientist Michael Gazzaniga ponders

http://bigthink.com/videos/your-storytelling-brain-2

Michael S. Gazzaniga is a professor of psychology at the University of California

...he has made important advances in our understanding of functional lateralization in the brain and how the cerebral hemispheres communicate with one another
>>
File: Dubs of Love.jpg (45 KB, 382x282) Image search: [Google]
Dubs of Love.jpg
45 KB, 382x282
>>8086266

Reality chek'd your dubs

Quite the story

>>8086222

Tripped out trips
>>
>>8086244
They can serve different functions, it's complicated. For example Kim "Rain Man" Peek probs had quite a bit duplicated between the two hemispheres but also compensated for a gimped corpus callosum with better sub cortical pathways (that's almost anything that isn't your corpus callosum or hypothalamus that connects the two hemisoheres). In some ways he was like a split brain patient (like being able to process two separate inputs from his eyes at the same time) and in other ways his brain was just one big ol hemisphere (the compensation for missing a corpus callosum)

One thing they've been doing recently with stroke patients that have language centres hit is to hit the opposite side of the brain with trans cranial magnetic stimulation to inhibit it. So typically if you have a stroke that hits the left hemisphere of the brain you can't process language, and because of plasticity your right side reorganises itself to process all language. By inhibiting the right side that stops this process and the body makes more of an effort to sort the left side out.

Anyway, whenever I see serious shit that goes on a out one side of the brain is artistic and the other side is autistic, or there being male and female brains, I always think of that scene in the Waterboy where he reckons crocodiles are unctuous because they don't have a toothbrush. It's bullshit they learnt at their mother's knee and mistake for incredible insight.
>>
>>8086312
>whenever I see serious shit that goes on a out one side of the brain is artistic and the other side is autistic
It's more like contextualized versus decontextualized. Left side sees things as they are, without meaning. It processes how we use tools, and manipulate the world around us. It's why the language is mostly on the left side. Right side is where things are put into context and have implicit meaning. It's why when you see people take damage to the right hemisphere, they have a harder time understanding jokes, metaphors, reading maps, and so on.
>>
>>8086206
liberals are emotional and illogical. feels over reals. conservatives are calm and logical.
>>
>>8086387
Nope, you got it reversed.
>>
>>8086390
Triggered much. Go back to your safe space.
>>
File: julian-jaynes.jpg (12 KB, 185x215) Image search: [Google]
julian-jaynes.jpg
12 KB, 185x215
Princeton University psychologist Julian Jaynes (1920–1997) put forth a bold new theory of the origin of consciousness and a previous mentality known as the bicameral mind

...Jaynes's theory has profound implications
>>
File: why wait.jpg (66 KB, 810x687) Image search: [Google]
why wait.jpg
66 KB, 810x687
Consciousness — as he carefully defines it — is a learned process based on metaphorical language

Dating...

...the development of consciousness to around the end of the second millennium B.C. in Greece...

Welcome to the NU

https://youtu.be/DUb1ysvriI0
>>
File: secret.jpg (65 KB, 477x329) Image search: [Google]
secret.jpg
65 KB, 477x329
THE INTERSPECIES INTERNET

https://youtu.be/03mb7IkR1qk

...They have a secret...

>>8086430
>>
i'm both creative and playful. hell, i just finished my screen play about two college-aged males inciting a liberal riot for berating a cocaine-addicted gay rapist. melissa harris-perry, a puppet, calls them out for it.
>>
>>8086312
>One thing they've been doing recently with stroke patients that have language centres hit is to hit the opposite side of the brain with trans cranial magnetic stimulation to inhibit it. So typically if you have a stroke that hits the left hemisphere of the brain you can't process language, and because of plasticity your right side reorganises itself to process all language. By inhibiting the right side that stops this process and the body makes more of an effort to sort the left side out.

Would love a source on that
>>
>>8087088
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26396038
There's others out there but I can't be bothered to look more up.

There is a point where this whole thing may be faulty tho: stimulation can look like or lead to inhibition and vice versa. So it would seem in some processes one side of the brain inhibits the other, and so in inhibiting the inhibitor you cause the other side to be stimulated and you get behaviours that can look like stimulation. Or if a what would you call it, a neural circuit? They can become fatigued if stimulated repeatedly. You see that sometimes with epilepsy case studies. Seems to have therapeutic use tho
>>
>>8086387
Is Hume in the heezy?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.