[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Tao Lin's work actually worth reading or is it just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: TaoEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.jpg (82 KB, 320x456) Image search: [Google]
TaoEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.jpg
82 KB, 320x456
Is Tao Lin's work actually worth reading or is it just a meme?
>>
tao lin was the official meme 2-3 years ago
>>
>>8083925
I know but is he actually worth reading? Eeeee has decent reviews everywhere I look but they're almost all "ironic"
>>
File: image.png (130 KB, 364x532) Image search: [Google]
image.png
130 KB, 364x532
>>8083935
>>
>>8083922
>>8083935
No. Just read Tao Lin on a Tricycle if you want memecore. It's better than anything Tao Lin actually wrote.
>>
File: 1464117964257.gif (2 MB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
1464117964257.gif
2 MB, 630x354
>>8083964
This image made me see the book in a whole new light. You've cracked the code, anon.
>>
its a meme worth reading desu
>>
both-and
>>
Before reading any of Tao's books, read his old blog (http://reader-of-depressing-books.blogspot.com) while keeping in mind how his early career focused on extensive self-promotion where his books were only one extension of his overall self-aware "presence" in society. His entire career up until the 2013 drug meltdown and temporary disappearance from the Internet following the withdrawn sexual assault accusation from his former girlfriend was about the extreme acceleration of isolation and proximity among people in an increasingly networked society and why people were unable to connect with each other while this was happening. His blog, books, and social media presence were all a way of saying "This is fucked" while inviting in as many people as possible to begin a dialogue on art and reality and technology.

As far as his books go, "Bed" is especially worth reading. These short stories were written while his talents were amplified by youth and extreme ambition, before his writing was too affected by the online scene surrounding him. He was just going to the Bobst Library at NYU every day and writing stories while barely anyone knew who he was, so he was writing to work himself into the lineage of the writers he admires. (I think about the story featuring the Leftöver Crack concert frequently and weep out of unspeakable nostalgia for the mid-2000s.)

"Eeeee Eee Eeee" is still fun to read over an afternoon but his absurdist style always worked better on his blog/drawings than in print.

His other books are entertaining but are probably only worth reading as a prelude to what he's going to do next. If anyone is ever going to write another novel that rivals the most complex and hysterical works of the 20th century, it will be Tao. He's the only author making any noise who's working hard enough, with enough integrity and transparency, to pull off anything memorable right now.
>>
>>8084647
Well memed, lad. but seriously, go to bed Tao, I'm not buying any of your shitty books.
>>
>>8083922
Go to bed Tao
>>
>>8084647
Thanks for an actual answer I appreciate it
>>
File: 1459621691182.jpg (23 KB, 232x197) Image search: [Google]
1459621691182.jpg
23 KB, 232x197
>>8084647

>I think about the story featuring the Leftöver Crack concert frequently and weep out of unspeakable nostalgia for the mid-2000s
>2008 was 16 semesters ago
>>
I miss Bobst
>>
>>8084693
>people who graduated college the year before you even got there were freshmen in 2008
>your first love kissed a boy for the first time in 2008
>you can't even remember the face of the coach who molested you in 2008
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>8084740
NYU is a really gay place, yes.
>>
File: Taosmanian_Devil_character_3.jpg (31 KB, 408x337) Image search: [Google]
Taosmanian_Devil_character_3.jpg
31 KB, 408x337
Cool Tao was here.

Can't wait for the fake pynchon guy to come by and talk about cool stuff like did shakespeare actually write all those plays.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.