[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best poetic prose.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
File: nabokov.jpg (56 KB, 500x626) Image search: [Google]
nabokov.jpg
56 KB, 500x626
Who has the best poetic prose? Why?
>>
>>8083558
st augustine
>>
>>8083558
Gass: no other author has the range of expression and style, and no other author can compose a sentence like he can.
>>
Just read actual poetry desu
>>
Pessoa, even if I fucking hate Portuguese
>>
>>8083573
I like his style but what he actually writes about is just so purely whatever.
>>
>>8083558
define "poetic"
>>
>>8083655
Prose whose value comes from its beauty and its melody, focusing less on effectivity.
>>
>>8083666
nice try satan
>>
>>8083666
what about that definition is poetic
poetic relates to poetry, not all poetry is beautiful or melodic. beyond that, beauty isn't a quantifiable thing.
>>
>>8083682
1º: Not everything Dante wrote was about hell and damnation, so, what about that definition of dantesque.
2º Yeah, I guess requesting ''the best'' was a mistake. Your ''favourite'' then, huh?
*Thanks for the correction, btw.
>>
That obese fag William Gass
>>
Melville's prose best prose
>>
>poetic prose
please stop saying this, prose is by definition non-prosodic, or not "poetry"
>>
>>8083578
Well, what don't you like about it? It could just be that you haven't read the right book for you. I can understand why you wouldn't like him if you're not American, though, since, in the end, all of his works have their heart in the same place--the Midwest.
>>
>>8083835
lol it might be because I'm a citybird, but what story would you recommend for starters? I read a bit of Omensetter's Luck but like i said it wasnt really hitting any numbers for me, maybe I could give it another go.
>>
>>8083884
Well, if you're looking for something more provocative and virtuoso, check out my favorite--The Tunnel; however, if you want something with more interesting inner workings, check out In the Heart of the Heart of the Country.
>>
This: >>8083728

And also Nabokov and Shakespeare's prose.

>>8083577
>even if I fucking hate Portuguese

Why? Is so sweet and sonorous.
>>
>>8084135
thanks anon
>>
>>8083558
pushkin and gogol

and flaubert
>>
Of everyone I've ever read, Rilke has the best prose.

Makes sense since he's mainly a poet.
>>
>>8084177
translated?
>>
>>8084161
No p.
>>
>>8083558
Wow, Zola is definitely underrated here. Germinal is gorgeous.
>>
>>8085293
Is this the one where someone's dick gets chopped off?
>>
>>8085293
>Zola
You could have chosen Huysmans, Stendhal, Maupassant, Goncourt and you choose fucking Zola?
>>
The only objectively correct answer is Tommy P.
>>
>>8085293
Zola is well known for his shit prose.
>>
Proust, Joyce, Woolf, Faulkner, Nabokov, Lowry, Bowles.
>>
>>8085901
You forgot Pynchon.
>>
Woolf and Nabokov are my faves!
>>
>>8085904
>>8085875
Pynchon's prose sucks.
>hehehehe I can throw in scientific references and create le huge lists of imagery!!
Yes, he's a smart dude, but his aesthetic sensibility is patball compared to Joyce's.
>>
>>8086347
>PATBALL COMPARED TO JOYCES CHAMPION GAME

you fucking memer
>>
>>8086347
>Pynchon's prose sucks
t. Non-reader.
>>
Bruno Schulz's poetic prose is nice.
>>
>>8083815
what are some better adjectives for this, anons?
>>
File: Tolstoy-List-Main.jpg (198 KB, 830x506) Image search: [Google]
Tolstoy-List-Main.jpg
198 KB, 830x506
>>
>>8086347
>is patball
get the fuck out of here
>>
>>8083558
Binyon
>>
>>8084290
Yes, admittedly (Stephen Mitchell). Still anything better than I've read in the original English.
>>
>>8086944
lol
u srs lad
>>
>>8087892
In the original language it is gorgeous, Nabokov called him the greatest Russian stylist of all time.
>>
Don DeLillo
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.