[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What pieces of writing were forever seared into your memory the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: V..jpg (22 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
V..jpg
22 KB, 350x500
What pieces of writing were forever seared into your memory the moment you read them?

For me it's the parts in V. where Pynchon talks about the Namibian death camps. It's so fucking vivid and such a contrast to his typically goofy self.
>>
>>8082564
The Cana of Galilee chapter from The Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>8082564
the sewers in this book tbqh

and the nose surgery
>>
File: The Judge.jpg (111 KB, 795x1005) Image search: [Google]
The Judge.jpg
111 KB, 795x1005
>And the answer, said the judge. If God meant to interfere in the degeneracy of mankind would he not have done so by now? Wolves cull themselves, man. What other creature could? And is the race of man not more predacious yet? The way of the world is to bloom and to flower and die but in the affairs of men there is no waning and the noon of his expression signals the onset of night. His spirit is exhausted at the peak of its achievement. His meridian is at once his darkening and the evening of his day. He loves games? Let him play for stakes. This you see here, these ruins wondered at by tribes of savages, do you not think that this will be again? Aye. And again. With other people, with other sons.

The whole section where they're sitting among those ruins struck me.
>>
>The people in Paris always look busy when all they actually do is roam around from morning to night; it's obvious, because when the weather isn't right for walking around, when it's too cold or too hot, you don't see them any more; they're all indoors, drinking their cafés crème or their beers. And that's the truth! The century of speed, they call it! Where? Great changes, they say! For instance? In truth nothing has changed.

I know it isn't anything particularly complex, but I always thought it was pretty accurate and funny, and it really made me want to read the rest of the book (Journey to the End of the Night). It's the only passage I can quote without having to open a book.
>>
>>8082564
For me the most striking scene was the death of the Bad Priest. All of it, the disassembly, Fausto administering the last rites it really stuck with me.
>>
V. is so fucking underrated. I mean, it's definitely not his best, but the second part of the book, especially the Stencil's chapters, is pure nightmare fuel. Nambian death camps' chapter is... bizzare? V's is love is nauseatic as well.
>>
>>8082564
Levin's brother death in Anna Karenina.
Pierre in the firing squad in War and Peace.
>>
>>8082564
>Are you real brave?
>Just medium.
>Whats the bravest thing you ever did?
>he spat onto the road a bloody phlegm. Getting up this morning.
>>
>>8082894
>V. is so fucking underrated.
This is the statement of someone who lives entirely in their own mind.
>>
>>8082939
You sound pretty guilty of that too. And now so do I.
>>
riverrun, past Eve and Adam's....
>>
>>8082939
People here usually praise M&D and GR.
By the way, you're so smart! I bet you read a lot.....
>>
The last page of The Stranger, Stuart Gilbert's translation
>>
>>8082564
Every Pynchon book juxtaposes goofiness with abject horror. Parts of Lot 49 and Vice are terrifying.
>>
Dead baby prostitute
Dr. Wo and the eyeball
Raquel Welch
>>
> And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen.
>>
Cyclops and Ithaca from Ulysses
>>
The description of the chancery court from the beginning of Bleak House.
>>
Tom's death in House of Leaves
Case's moment of brain death in Neuromancer.
The wedding from Wise Children
>>
>>8083343
>Raquel Welch
Dear god no. That was intense.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.