[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
History of Philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
Is Anthony Kenny's 'new history' the best overview of western philosophy at the moment?
>>
>>8082089
Is it?
>>
>>8082089
Yes, it is.
>>
I've read some pertinent critique to its first volume. It's not in English though and I can't be bothered to translate it.
>>
>>8082089
No, that would be The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps.
>>
>>8082106
Fool
>>
>>8082106
"Without Any Gaps" means no women philosophers, right? Sounds good.
>>
I have this saved in my "dank memes" folder rather than my book cover folder and now I don't know if I just made a mistake or if this is really a meme book :/
>>
>>8082871
I have no idea what any of that means.
>>
>>8082115
Correct, it's all men philosophers.
>>
>>8082871
You know
>>
>>8082871
It's just a pop philosophy book.
>>
You'd be better off reading the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, IMo
>>
>>8082892
The purpose of the book is simply to give the beginner a broad historical overview of the subject. Once ascended, the ladder can be kicked away.
>>
>>8082089
I personally like Bryan Magee's "Story of Philosophy", a good follow-up to the original by Will Durant.
>>
I use this for referencing but initially read Burty Russels history of philosophy. there's an audiobook version floating around le net

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:107249c8ef0cabba577331d5ea23a76018c8d08b&dn=A+History+of+Western+Philosophy+-+Bertrand+Russell&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969
>>
>>8083048
I would avoid Durant - he just doesn't understand philosophy.
>>
>>8083058
shut the fuck up
>>
i heard cooper is good
>>
I recently acquired pic related
Amazon and goodreads reviews say its dense and difficult
My only exposure to phil. so far has been Sophie's World and random shit online

Will it go over my head? Is it worth struggling with?
>>
>>8083078
>>8083048
I want to read the Durant history of the world series, is it worth it?
>>
Its decent but very analytically focused. Also some philosophers just get a horrible treatment. It's probably the best option though.
>>
>>8083125
like an idiot I forgot to upload the pic
i didn't mean the one in op
>>
>>8083386
>some philosophers just get a horrible treatment.

like?
>>
>>8083376
He doesnt understand baseball either
>>
>>8082089
Frederick Copleston is GOAT
>>
>>8084124
kierkegaard, derrida
>>
I liked Lord Russell's history of western philosophy. It was a good survey.
>>
>>8084162
how so? I'm only on the third chapter but was hoping the Derrida section toward the end would be illuminating given I don't understand a thing about that guy
>>
>>8082089
It's a great intro but don't expect anything anywhere to be in depth. He does a great job of introducing you to each topic. I personally wish it was done by philosopher rather than areas of study. But that's my opinion.
>>
It's a nice introduction to most of philosophy. Don't expect anything unheard of to be discussed. It's a series of four short books that serve most readers well enough.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.