[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
City on Fire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: City on Fire 03.jpg (261 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
City on Fire 03.jpg
261 KB, 1600x1200
Did anyone here read this? What was your opinion? I've only just started catching up to the award-winners (Tartt, Catton, James, Doerr) and the premise sounds intriguing. Hell, if it's at least entertaining I'm sure the length is a virtue.

Opinions?
>>
Editor: Debut novel is 900 pages and you want $2 million dollars for it? I don't know, seems like a hell of a risk.

Hallberg: Risk is my middle name.
>>
>>8080925
Was the big price just because they'd already sold the hollywood rights?
>>
>>8080925
>>8080934
I completely forgot about the hype over its release and the sizable advance. I remember reading Pessl's Special Topics 5 years after it was released and reading people's reservations over the similar situation.
>>
>>8080908
Just read the first pages on amazon because I like that title. Book reads very entertaining. Will give it a go.
>>
Is he the new david foster wallace?

Is this the next generation of shitposters' infinite jest
>>
>>8081123
Not a chance. The book hasn't gotten nearly enough hype, even with the extremely large advance, to compare to IJ. IJ was a chart-topper that also got academic attention and became an IRL meme that /lit/ has simply continued. Infinite Summer has been a thing for quite some time now.

I haven't heard a peep about CoF since it launched.
>>
>>8080908
I read it. The prose is not that good, there isn't much philosophy behind it and the characters aren't original. Read it because I like the theme and the punk setting in 70s New York.
>>
>>8082012
Is it entertaining? that's the only reason I read.
>>
>>8082456
Yes. It is entertaining
>>
>>8080925
Sold!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.