[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nausea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Sartre_Nausea_1964.jpg (21 KB, 382x593) Image search: [Google]
Sartre_Nausea_1964.jpg
21 KB, 382x593
What does lit think about Nausea (Jean-Paul Sartre)?
After reading it, I wasn't too sure whether I enjoyed it. I seemed to find other lighter novels on existentialism, namely The Myth of Sisyphus, far more pleasing to the mind. Nausea was a bit too hard hitting for my liking, it seemed to change my outlook on life completely.
>>
>>8079759
Are you memeing? Don't read existentialist fiction if you don't want to be disturbed, especially Sartre he's a sadist
>>
>>8079759
Sartre was a no-talent hack. Avoid.
>>
How old was he when he wrote Nausea? It has this youthful angst to it, even though the protagonist seems to have spent a lifetime aimlessly wandering.
>>
>>8079759
i liked the bit where he was staring at a woman and wondering if she was thinking about her own breasts

a bit eliot rogerish really
>>
>>8079784
I think he was in his late 20's early 30's. Perhaps he was trying to grasp on to the last bit of his youth?
>>
When younger, I was a bit into existentialism. I adored:
(1) Albert Camus' "The Myth of Sisyphus"
(2) Jean Paul Sartre's "Nausea"
(3) Sartre's "Being and Nothingness."

I recently saw a movie "No Exit," an English-language movie version of the play by Jean-Paul Sartre ("Huis clos") available on YouTube. The movie-version play features Harold Pinter as an actor. That was not bad, either.
>>
>>8079770
>novel
>myth of sisyphus
>>
What do you mean when you say "hard-hitting"?
Nausea is basically a self-help book. Do you just feel unable to do what he's telling you, or did you miss the point?
Also Camus is shit
>>
>>8079775
In general I agree, but nausea was the one time he did it right.

Nausea should change your outlook towards time and living life authentically. The rest of his thought though can be neatly subdivided into two categories: Done better by Heidegger and/or Camus and nihilistic trash.
>>
>>8079759
I really enjoyed it
>>
Anyone here read Kierkegaard? As far as I know, he is considered to be the founder of existentialism.
>>
>>8083494
Yeah, and he poses some really interesting views. Keep in mind that he was still a pretty devout christian in addition to the early form of existentialism he developed.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.