[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
socrates dead
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
I honestly think Socrates death sentence was the highlight of greek philosophy. That narcissistic dialectical motherfucker is so unbearable. Did he contribute anything to philosophy? look at his smug face.

greeks, dont fall for the meme
>>
m-mods
>>
Socrates did nothing wrong
>>
His own philosophy got him killed. he could have lived a comfy life in the atticusian country side but instead he decided muh ideals is a better cause than you yourself
>>
>>8078956
dude was 70 when he died. Plus, he won.
>>
File: HighSparrow.jpg (51 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
HighSparrow.jpg
51 KB, 320x240
>>8078930
Why do you say Socrates was unbearable?
>>
>>8078956
this is the other thing with him. were told the guy is sooooo smart and brilliant, but he couldnt talk himself out of a DEATH SENTENCE FOR CORRUPTION OF CHILDREN. i think even a mediocre lawyer can get off free from such a bullshit charge. But noooo he sees it as another opportunity to take the stage and be obnoxious as hell.

>>8078964
have you read his dialogues? His style of conversation is unproductive, he makes weird jumps in logic to arrive at his conclusion (which is always exactly the opposite of his conversation partner), hes just a terrible human being in genera.l
>>
File: 4PB3Tyd.jpg (178 KB, 918x627) Image search: [Google]
4PB3Tyd.jpg
178 KB, 918x627
>>8078995
pic related
>>
>>8078964

Having read some of the dialogues, I get the feeling that Socrates was the sort of person who would loudly correct you in public for a minor grammatical transgression or slip of the tongue. He was undoubtedly an intelligent man but I wouldn't want to hang out with the guy.
>>
>>8078995
>but he couldnt talk himself out of a DEATH SENTENCE
Are you actually baiting with this dogshit post?
>>
>>8078995
>he makes weird jumps in logic to arrive at his conclusion

Requesting a cited example.
>>
Universal literacy was a mistake
>>
File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632 KB, 1464x1986) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632 KB, 1464x1986
>Socrates was a buffoon who got himself taken seriously.
>>
>>8079031
>you are able to draw conclusions about geometry without me explicitly teaching it to you
>therefore you have always had knowledge of geometry
>therefore the soul is immortal
>>
Someone should read the Apology more closely.
>>
>>8079607
Elaborate you smug fuck
>>
>>8079606
being this dumb
>>
>>8079618
Please explain how I have misrepresented or misunderstood this argument from Meno
>>
>>8078930
Reading about him in my classics class was fucking hilarious. The guy was a huge autist and his teaching and debating basically consisted of him saying "why do you think that?" over and over. He got sentenced to death because he was too stubborn to fucking argue against it out of principle.

If he was alive today he would probably lurk on r9k all day and live in his parents' basement
>>
>>8079615
I think it's obvious, in the first place, that Socrates wanted to get condemned.

>bringing up the first accusers (studying things aloft &c, and making the weaker argument the stronger) out of nowhere when this would only harm his defense, saying that what those philosophers did was actually noble, and then accusing Meletus of being mad at him because youngsters followed Socrates' dialectic (implying that he actually corrupted then) and exposed their elders as talentless hacks.
>>
This is th fucking most embarrassing and stupid thread ive seen. None of you have obviously not read any text from Plato about Socrate. Socrates explained several times, CLEARLY, why he didnt try to escape or change his opinions so he couldve survived.
>>
>>8078930
You would love 'Clouds' by Aristophanes, OP
>>
>>8079632
But this only supports OPs position that socrates is a smug self-righteous fuck
>>
>>8079632
Considering the moral axiom that no one voluntarily does a bad thing for himself, and the consequent repentance of Athens over Socrates judgment, I think it is indeed clear that he wanted to die precisely so the city would see and feel guilty about that Socrates philosophy was just part their only notion of virtue.
>>
>>8079652
And so were the jurymen and Athenian politicians, Socrates was just exposing them using their own language and beliefs, like he did with everyone else's beliefs.
>>
>>8079634
This. Fuck this board.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.