[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Me and my friend are aspiring writers who had a question we were
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1463803014273.jpg (25 KB, 382x417) Image search: [Google]
1463803014273.jpg
25 KB, 382x417
Me and my friend are aspiring writers who had a question we were discussing today: is it possible to take novel writing classes and take things away from it and go write books without a degree? We spoke about how we're both voracious readers and that we can take things away from the class but requirements from our college make it a waste of time to go for a degree (math req., several damn classes ect.) Can /lit/ throw their opinions on the matter?
>>
you don't need a degree to write a book.

proof:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5756485/1/Wabloo-Swabloo
>>
>>8076098
If there's one thing you don't need to write a book, it's degree.
>>
>>8076927
This. Degrees are just endorsements of your ability to, essentially, read what you're supposed to and produce essays.
There's no reason you can't survey american literature without actually taking Survey of American Literature
Just work smart. Read a bunch of the good stuff, write often
>inb4 someone says class discussions are better than the alternative
>>
>>8076098
Doesn't this seem like an obtuse question to you. A talented degree-less writer would create a better work than a uninspired, bad writer with a degree.

There may be some merit for a talented writer to study a degree, though
>>
The ONLY thing one needs to do is read a lot of books. Also, think about your question in the context of any other talent. Most famous musicians don't have a music degree.
>>
>>8077070
That's a good point that you brought up, anon. I'm an aid in the English department and I hear people who want to become authors raise this concern.

Simple answer is this: when it comes to writing, factor in the fact that a lot of the classic authors read a shit ton and took something away from that to mold their craft.

If you're writing and you don't take some valuable new craft for u our writing, you're not doing it right
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.