[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me this isn't like Harry Potter. Is it any good? Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: cover_277.jpg (46 KB, 277x416) Image search: [Google]
cover_277.jpg
46 KB, 277x416
Tell me this isn't like Harry Potter.

Is it any good? Help me please. It's one of the few translated books of fantasy to my language.
>>
It's not like Harry Potter. Though it would have been better if it were.
No, it's shit.
>>
Someone post the excerpt with the Felurian sex or whatever it was. You know the one.
>>
How the fuck people are saying this is good style ? It's really lame cookie cutter Fantasy. I've read 200 pages and I cringed non stop. Is Gene Wolfe the only good fantasy writer ?
>>
>>8075478
I liked it. I read like 1000 pages of this shit in two days. Its pretty entertaining
>>
File: Tuor.jpg (358 KB, 679x1022) Image search: [Google]
Tuor.jpg
358 KB, 679x1022
>>8075484
>>8075522
>>8075481

Find me something to read for the Love of God.
I can really skip the magic part.

Epic High fantasy that doesn't involve time travel bullshit.
>>
>>8075522
>Is Gene Wolfe the only good fantasy writer ?
No, there are many others. They just don't get any attention on /lit/.
>>
One of the best fantasy books I've ever read. 10/10 would recommend again.
>>
>>8075481
>Though it would have been better if it were

Thank God we can tell who the shitters are in /lit/
>>
>>8075564
Plz tell me.
>>
The fact that people post on 4chan in english yet still read english written books translated boggles my mind
>>
>>8075574
Should it be was? I don't know the nuances of your shit language that well.
>>
>>8075554
Poul Anderson - The Broken Sword
Lord Dunsany - The King of Elfland's Daughter
Guy Gavriel Kay - The Sarantine Mosaic
>>
>>8075584
It's unpleasant to read in English.
>>
>>8075478
I have the same problem in my country. I can only get Rothfuss, Martin, Abercrombie and Bakker in libraries in my town. No Zelazny, Wolfe, Goodkind, Pratchett to name a few.
>>
>>8075554
Mervyn Peake, Gormenghast Trilogy.
>>
>>8075582
Most of these are good, once you weed out the children's books:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2365
>>
>>8075595
I'm French and I hate reading translations. I love russian lit and Knut Hamsun but I know I didn't really read them. I tried to learn russian but I'm too lazy.
>>
>>8075618
It really depends on the prose. Some can be good translations. Some are abominations even with the best translators.
>>
>>8075616
What about Post-Tolkien?
>>
>>8075629
Half of these are post-Tolkien:

David Lindsay: "A Voyage to Arcturus"
E. R. Eddison: "The Worm Ouroboros"
Lord Dunsany: "The King of Elfland's Daughter"
Hope Mirrlees: "Lud-In-The-Mist"
L. Sprague de Camp: "The Compleat Enchanter"
Robert E. Howard: "Conan the Barbarian"
Poul Anderson: "The Broken Sword"
T. H. White: "The Once and Future King"
Mervyn Peake: "Gormenghast"
Fritz Leiber: "The Swords of Lankhmar"
Roger Zelazny: "The Chronicles of Amber"
John Crowley: "Little, Big"
Gene Wolfe: "Book of the New Sun"
Tim Powers: "The Anubis Gates"
Jack Vance: "Lyonesse"
Robert Holdstock: "Mythago Wood"
Barry Hughart: "Bridge of Birds"
Michael Swanwick: "The Iron Dragon's Daughter"
Guy Gavriel Kay: "The Lions of Al-Rassan"
Susanna Clarke: "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell"
>>
>>8075478
Stop reading translations idiot. If you can make a post on 4chan you can read English books...
>>
File: Dinosaurs.jpg (703 KB, 2437x1047) Image search: [Google]
Dinosaurs.jpg
703 KB, 2437x1047
>>8075670
Fucking Fossil fuel books, no better than to start my chimney fire.
>>
>>8076179
Stay in your containment zone, datey mcdated.
>>
>>8075870
Oh look, it's the "never read translations" guy.
>>
>>8075554
>timetravel bullshit
You weren't impressed by GoT either eh?
>>
>>8076193
Hi Gray Mouser fag, I see you are keeping witching hours, and doing the devil's work by spreading hatred of anything new.
>>
>>8076246

Not the anon you're replying to but I personally was disgusted by the time travel trope in GoT. Don't get me wrong, time travel stories are some of my favorites, I just feel like it doesn't fit GoT. And worse, it now feels like a cheap trick. Like everything can be explained away by Bran messing around with the past.
>>
>>8075478
It's pretty good. Pretty slow, but good. Also, it doesn't switch off between characters like a lot of modern fantasy does which can be really obnoxious.
>>
>>8076179
Ah, the long ago year of 2004 when Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell came out. If you just had different taste, I'd be fine with that, the problem is that you're also dumb and unknowledgeable.
>>
>>8075478
Don't go on anyone's opinion on this one.

Only you will decide if its good or bad.
>>
>>8075478
I like it, it was entertaining and I burned through both books in about a week, most each in a night.

Its not exactly high literature but its fun. Worst part for me was the Felurian bit in book 2, damn did it drag. One of the coolest scenes was right before that, though, so perhaps it was just the shock of reversion to the mean.

Anyway, try it out. If it hasnt sucked you in by 2-300 pages, drop it.
>>
>>8075574
yes, it would've been. lol rowling is a better writer both in a structural and a prosody sense than this purple prose hack

and rowling is mediocre.
>>
>>8076179
fossil fuels used today contain 0.00000000000% dinosaurs
>>
This book is a true plebmus test. My biggest regret was not listening to my gut when I thought the back of the book summary sounded kind of lame.

Read the entire goddamn thing and I still hate myself for it.

>My name is Kvothe. I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

>You may have heard of me.
>>
>>8075478
It's like Twilight. For boys.

Behold the beauty and pain inherent in Rothfusses writing:
>None were good enough for her, so I held them in contempt and hated them. They in turn hated and feared me.

>But we were pleasant to each other. Always pleasant. It was a game of sorts. He would invite me to sit, and I would buy him a drink. The three of us would talk, and his eyes would slowly grow dark as he watched her smile toward me. His mouth would narrow as he listened to the laughter that leapt from her as I joked, spun stories, sang. . . .

>They would always react the same way, trying to prove ownership of her in small ways. Holding her hand, a kiss, a too-casual touch along her shoulder.

>They clung to her with desperate determination. Some of them merely resented my presence, saw me as a rival. But others had a frightened knowledge buried deep behind their eyes from the beginning. They knew she was leaving, and they didn't know why. So they clutched at her like shipwrecked sailors, clinging to the rocks despite the fact that they are being battered to death against them. I almost felt sorry for them. Almost.
So they hated me, and it shone in their eyes when Denna wasn't looking. I would offer to buy another round of drinks, but he would insist, and I would graciously accept, and thank him, and smile.

>I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name.
>>
>>8075554
Midnight court is the best fantasy ever, especially in the original Irish. Likely a 0% chance you'll find it in whatever language you speak though.
>>
>>8077483
I couldn't believe that even the author's self-insert was a beta orbiter. Goes to show you how these people lack self-awareness.
>>
>>8077483
He wrote about being a cuck before it was cool
>>
>>8077462
*unsheathes katana*
>>
>>8077483
lmfao, that last paragraph is quintessential beta orbiter. claiming you have some "special part of her" when other guys are casually digging out her pussy on the daily. jesus christ.

i might as well post it. the best excerpts from his Goodreads profile:

>It all began when Pat Rothfuss was born to a marvelous set of parents. Throughout his formative years they encouraged him to do his best, gave him good advice, and were no doubt appropriately dismayed when he failed to live up to his full potential.

>In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all of his female friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl. He also role-played and wrote terrible stories about elves. He was pretty much a geek.

>...

>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women. He also began writing a satirical advice column which he continues to this day: The College Survivial Guide. Through all of this he continued to work on his novel.

>...

>Now Pat teaches half-time at his old school as an assistant-sub-lecturer. He is underpaid but generally left alone to do as he sees fit with his classes. He is advisor for the college feminists, the fencing club, and, oddly enough, a sorority. He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.
>>
>>8077462
cool, but i don't need a vacuum sweeper or soccer tickets or whatever you sale again
>>
>>8077530
He's a self described male feminist.
>>
>>8077554
>>8077564
I just looked this up myself and I still refuse to believe it is real. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>8077570
feminist doesn't equal beta orbiter
>>
>>8077581
it sure is a foot in the door though
>>
>>8077581
Are there beta orbiters who aren't feminists?
>>
Kvothe has a variety of qualities which his target audience (teenage geeks) are extremely likely to possess, and which grant him amazing abilities with little or no effort on his part. For example:

* He is extremely clever and this makes him excellent at schoolwork
* He is particularly skilled at technical subjects
* His supernatural powers come largely from understanding concrete technical laws (many of which are specifically derived from real-world physics and engineering)
* He is awkward around women
* He has had a very small amount of martial arts training
* He was picked on as a child but came into his own at university

All of these are qualities which the book's target audience are extremely likely to identify with specifically. You don't look at Kvothe and admire him for his cleverness, you look at him and you recognize in him your *own* cleverness, all of his skills parallel skills which geeks have in the real world. He's not somebody to look up to, he's you. Even his flaws are really virtues (his awkwardness with women, for example, somehow actually makes him more attractive to the opposite sex).

That's the difference between a mythic or an inspirational story and wish fulfillment. A mythic hero embodies virtues to which you aspire, but which you know that you do not truly possess. A wish-fulfillment character has all of the same qualities you already have, but they work the way you want them to work instead of the way they really work. So your beta inability to speak to women is transformed into an endearing shyness, your six months of kendo really does make you brilliant at fighting, and your nerdboy hobbies are the secret to saving the universe.
>>
>>8077588
>So your beta inability to speak to women is transformed into an endearing shyness

that's how it may work in reality too, unless shyness goes too far
>>
>>8075478
It's ok. Pretty comfy for a fantasy novel.

Doesn't deserve the praise it gets, but it doesn't deserve the hate either.

The Garysue criticism are valid, and it gets annoying. But the prose is really not bad at all.

Also
>Bast best character
>>
>>8077462
*tips lute*
>>
File: 1430876305003.jpg (12 KB, 226x225) Image search: [Google]
1430876305003.jpg
12 KB, 226x225
>>8077564
Unbelievable. He's a living beta meme
>>
>>8077616
>Bast
>not shit

his characterization is simply being a contrarian

kvothe said something? woops! better think again mr. kote XD
>>
>>8076271
That list specifically had new novels you braindead retard.
>>
File: 1452211455096.jpg (778 KB, 1252x1666) Image search: [Google]
1452211455096.jpg
778 KB, 1252x1666
>>8077593
>and your nerdboy hobbies are the secret to saving the universe.
See also Ready Player One
>>
File: puke03.jpg (40 KB, 478x396) Image search: [Google]
puke03.jpg
40 KB, 478x396
>>8077744
wow that's disgusting

>The audiobook is narrated by Wil Wheaton, who also happens to cameo in the story as the Vice-President of the OASIS.[5]

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!
>>
>>8077585
what do you think anons who browse /r9k/ were before they found /r9k/
>>
wait, do you mean that r9k is a feminist board?
>>
this is the epicest of books, i tip my dead skræling to thee
>>
>>8077770
"I knew more about Springfield than my own city" could be a good line in appropriate context.
>>
>>8078120
And what possible context would that be? An episode of "Who's the biggest virgin"?
>>
File: 18747234234.jpg (125 KB, 321x360) Image search: [Google]
18747234234.jpg
125 KB, 321x360
>Reddit tier
>Edgy teenager
>*unsheathes katana*

This board is worse than /pol/ holy shit.
>>
>>8078178
oh no someone trashed your purple prose schlocky corncobby "novel"
>>
>>8078188
I haven't read any of his books. Try again.
>>
>>8078178
try reddit
>>
>>8078190
hell0 reddit
>>
File: 1435615789402.jpg (88 KB, 670x725) Image search: [Google]
1435615789402.jpg
88 KB, 670x725
>>8078188
>>8078191
>>8078196

>*tips fedora*
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.