[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid Question Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: 1423427809167.png (169 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1423427809167.png
169 KB, 1600x900
Ayy up guys. I know /lit/ doesnt really do SQT's but I have a couple so we might as well do this.

1. can you share your favourites sonnets? especially keats and shakespeare and maybe tell us why you like it?
>>
File: 1463142959639.jpg (23 KB, 235x395) Image search: [Google]
1463142959639.jpg
23 KB, 235x395
>>8075167
2. After TLP and PI, is there anywhere left to go with Wittgenstein? I hear he has other posthumous works but not sure which editions are authoritative. Any help?
>>
File: 1462562572770.jpg (116 KB, 400x602) Image search: [Google]
1462562572770.jpg
116 KB, 400x602
>>8075167

3. Which is the best abridged version of Summa Theologica? Or is it necessary to read all of it. I'm not that interested in early theology but would like to know about its influence.

>>8075167
>>
>>8075167
No
>>8075174
No

You can delete your thread now
>>
File: 1463367842229.png (208 KB, 927x741) Image search: [Google]
1463367842229.png
208 KB, 927x741
>>8075167
4. Can you guys recommend me the best film adaptions of Shakepeare's plays?
>>
>>8075179
why? are you being deliberately mean?
>>
>>8075167
Ode To A Nightingale is my favorite, check it out.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/44479

Do any of you annotate? I'm doing a reread of The Sun Also Rises and I'm not sure how I can get the most of it.
>>
>>8075167
Shakespeare 30 55 60 65 73 107 116
Keats When I have fears I may cease to be, On sitting down to read King Lear again, On seeing the Elgin Marbles, On first looking into Chapman's Homer

Bonus
Milton Sonnet 7 (How soon hath time), Sonnet 19 (When I consider how my light is spent)
Donne Holy Sonnet V (O my black soul), VI (This is my play's last scene), VII (I am a little world made cunningly), VIII (At round the earth's imagined corners blow), X (Death be not proud)
Hopkins God's Grandeur
Shelley Ozymandias
Sidney Astrophil and Stella 1, 7, 10, 19, 27, 35, etc. etc.
Yeats Leda and the Swan
Lawrence Piano
>>
>>8075183
Hey I was in the same /sci/ meme thread as you. Check out Halmet (1990)
>>
>>8075183
Branagh Henry V
McKellen King Lear
McKellen Richard III
Cucumberbatch Hamlet
Olivier Hamlet
Stewart Macbeth
Fassbender Macbeth
>>
>>8075200
I actually think Keats first ever published poem is pretty nice (not his best but surprising good considering its his first).

O SOLITUDE! if I must with thee dwell,
Let it not be among the jumbled heap
Of murky buildings; climb with me the steep,—
Nature’s observatory—whence the dell,
Its flowery slopes, its river’s crystal swell,
May seem a span; let me thy vigils keep
’Mongst boughs pavillion’d, where the deer’s swift leap
Startles the wild bee from the fox-glove bell.
But though I’ll gladly trace these scenes with thee,
Yet the sweet converse of an innocent mind,
Whose words are images of thoughts refin’d,
Is my soul’s pleasure; and it sure must be
Almost the highest bliss of human-kind,
When to thy haunts two kindred spirits flee.

I love how so early in Keats poetry we see a human touch which even the best romantics ignore in favour of nature.

Why do you like OTAN so much?

I don't annotate books (except textbooks) but I do have a bunch of notebooks where I copy out passages I like. I know I'm just a filthy materialist but I cant bring myself to first write something in a new book.

p.s. Does /lit/ have something against SQT's? I know this is a slow board so its not really essential but I notice in /sci/ SQT's are really the only threads without shitposting so I'd thought I'd give it a go. sorry if you dont like it :(
>>
File: 1462650939832.jpg (49 KB, 600x522) Image search: [Google]
1462650939832.jpg
49 KB, 600x522
>>8075208
Thanks for taking the time to do this! I'll definitely check all these out. Im a bit of a poetry pleb and havent read much other than Keats. Do you think these poets are a good entry?

>>8075216
yeah /sci/ humour is a bit hit and miss but it has a charming self-awareness I like :)
Ill check it out. thanks

>>8075220
thanks a lot. I really appreciate this. I'll check all of these out :)
>>
>>8075239
I like it basically for the same reason you mentioned, blending in nature with other subjects which would normally be pretty bizarre to talk of at the same time. He speaks of nature like it's a drug and contrasts it with a bleak society. It's also very sensual, which makes the impact much easier to take in than with most Romantic poems.

Keats is one of the few poets I've been able to get into right away, and one of the only Romantics I really like.
>>
>>8075294
Yep I've limited them to the "strict" definition of a sonnet - 14 line poems rhymed in Elizabethan or Petrarchan structure (with a few exceptions where the poet was experimenting a bit). These are more or less very canonical poems that can be read and (hopefully) appreciated by people who are new to the form. Donne might be a bit thorny in terms of how they phrase the sentences and excise certain words, but that's about it. Nothing too crazy.
>>
>>8075178
Oxford published Selected Philisophical Writings by Aquinas. It's about 300 pages. A lot of it is Summa but it even includes some other stuff. Good place to go if you arent trying to read 3500 pages.
>>
>>8075320
I've read a few selected poems of Donne. I like Woman's Constancy for some reason. Maybe because I was reading an anthology of his works from cover to cover and a slightly un-romantic blunt poem was a nice contrast to his "lovey dovey" poems. maybe because im a loveless shit. Its just one witty image after another, and feels less "aged" than his other stuff.

WOMANS CONSTANCY
Now thou has loved me one whole day
Tomorrow when you leav’st, what wilt thou say?
Wilt thou then antedate some new-made vow?
Or say that now
We are not just those persons which we were?
Or, that oaths made in reverential fear
Of Love, and his wrath, any may forswear?
Or, as true deaths true marriages untie
So lovers’ contracts, images of those
Bind but till sleep, death’s image, them unloose?
Or, your own end to justify
For having purposed change and falsehood, you
Can have no way but falsehood to be true?
Vain lunatic, against these ‘scapes I could
Dispute and conquer, if I would
Which I abstain to do
For by tomorrow, I may think so too

I also like Donne's Go, and catch a falling star. Its a bit nonsense which I like. reminds me almost of carrol or dahl, except in prettier prose
>>
>>8075339
thanks for this. is this as well-annotated/contextualised as oxford's work normally is? im guessing Aristotle is a must-read before hand. imma probably order this and a nice aristotle selected writings
>>
>>8075429
donne's poems can roughly be divided into two categories, corresponding to his life -

for the first part of his life donne was essentially a london socialite, spending his time and money womanizing and generally dicking around. he used his considerable wit to write poems that were essentially elaborate ways of convincing women to sleep with him (e.g. the flea), or to condemn women/love for being inconstant and fickle (e.g. women's constancy, go and catch a falling star)

later in life he took up a position as the dean of st. paul's cathedral. his finances and social status were in a much more ruinous state, and his poetry took a more somber, pious, and spiritual turn. the holy sonnets fall into this category.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.