[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Continuing with the Greeks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: odyssey.gif (76 KB, 510x332) Image search: [Google]
odyssey.gif
76 KB, 510x332
I want to read Ulysses, because I need to get an idea of how a great author uses a piece of literature and creates something new from it, a reimagining. I tried reading it when I was way younger but it was too hard for me. I'm familiar with some of the Greeks, but not the Odyssey. What translation should I read? Fagles, Fitzgerald, Johnston, Lattimore, Lombardo, Merrill, Palmer, Rieu
>>
File: Latt-Lom-Merr.png (310 KB, 1805x860) Image search: [Google]
Latt-Lom-Merr.png
310 KB, 1805x860
>>8072347
Easy to reads are Fagles and Lombardo

Just look up comparisons like this one.
>>
Fitzgerald is the best poetically.

>>8072356
Retard.
>>
File: Homer - Odyssey - Merrill.jpg (56 KB, 327x504) Image search: [Google]
Homer - Odyssey - Merrill.jpg
56 KB, 327x504
>>8072358
The story isn't that kind of poem though.
Have you tried Pope too?
>>
>>8072356
This is digusting. Guess I'll read it in greek.
>>
/mu/ just told me Ulysses wasn't overrated and to come to /lit/ to get proof that it is correctly rated

I haven't read it, should I? Also should Pet Sounds be considered an overrated album
>>
>>8072419
The Odyssey was great. OP is talking about Tennyson, you're probably talking about Joyce's. Don't read it till you have Homer out of the way.
>>
>>8072495
I read the Odyssey and Iliad in high school, guess I'll go pick up a copy of the book (pirate it) soon
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.