[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i must be dumber than i thought, i didnt get what all the fuss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: atticus-finch-character-lead.jpg (130 KB, 600x751) Image search: [Google]
atticus-finch-character-lead.jpg
130 KB, 600x751
i must be dumber than i thought, i didnt get what all the fuss was about, he didnt strike me as particularly racist in the book

it just reads like she lost her mind for no reason had a bunch of nonsensical conversations with her uncle and yelled at her father for a couple pages
can someone explain it to me?

also why the hell calpurnia suddenly didnt gave a shit about scout?
>>
Go Set A Watchman isn't canon, they forced the book out of her on her deathbed. It doesn't matter.
>>
File: Ellison - Juneteenth.jpg (26 KB, 303x475) Image search: [Google]
Ellison - Juneteenth.jpg
26 KB, 303x475
>>8072061
There's a good reason she didn't want it published.

Can we talk about Juneteenth now?
>>
wut
>>
As far as I know, the whole 'Go Set a Watchman' story is both a sequel and somehow a first draft of the original story, 'To Kill a Mockingbird', and went through dozens, if not a hundred, rewrites until she supposedly scrapped what she had and started from the ground up.

There's also the conspiracy that the book really wasn't hers but imposed upon her by her caretaker to squeeze more moolah out of an author who wrote a book about race amidst an environment of renewed racial tensions.

tl;dr It's a weird thing that didn't need to be a thing but was because money.
>>
Pretty good summation here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/25/opinion/joe-nocera-the-watchman-fraud.html
tl;dr Harper Lee's sister, Alice, managed Harper's affairs because Harper is too far gone mentally, Alice dies, lady now in charge acts like Harper Lee wanted to publish it
blatant cash grab
>>8072123
It's just a first draft, idiots call it a sequel because it takes place at a later time period, but the characters are clearly not the same people
>>
In the 30's when TKAM, although the black people were treated worse, there was less antagonism between blacks and white because black people weren't able to stand up for themselves. In this way there was actually more hostility in the era of Watchman because there was so much violence and enmity in the South. That's why Calpurnia treats Scout with bitterness, racial differences were more defined than ever, even if this did eventually lead to more racial justice.
>>
>>8073522
Yeah, it was the flashback sequences that received praise, which would be expanded to become tkam
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.